GIS Spatial Analysts I
4 days left
- Full Time
Performs a variety of duties under the direction of the Department GIS Coordinator. Duties include creation, development, and maintenance of GIS data, associated attribute information, and metadata. Performs quality control checks on GIS data and attribute information. Utilizes GIS to analyze data and creates presentation quality maps and cartographic material for staff, high-level county officials, and the public. Performs basic spatial analysis and works with higher-level GIS analysts on projects to develop and implement GIS solutions for the Department of Transportation. Supervise field data collection using GPS, performs data post-processing, and incorporates data into the county's enterprise GIS. Assist in installing and maintaining GIS related software and hardware. Also assists in training and supporting staff in the use of GIS and related practices.Illustrative Duties
- Produces high quality cartographic maps;
- Reviews data created by GIS Techs to ensure quality;
- Evaluates and recommend GIS software;
- Performs basic GIS analysis (e.g., buffering);
- Assists higher level analysts in defining GIS needs/requirements;
- Provide basic technical support for GIS COTS and in house applications;
- Attends meetings and conferences related to GIS;
- Updates/assists with GIS content on internet/intranet site;
- Troubleshoots standard GIS hardware issues( plotters, GPS, etc);
- Assigns data keys for geographic layers;
- Interprets and validates source documents for GIS data entry;
- Performs updates to tabular data;
- Demonstrates GIS applications;
- Assists users in evaluating and recommending GIS software for specialized applications;
- Performs acceptance tests for new software products;
- Maintains designated GIS data layers;
- Recommends database enhancements for GIS data layers;
- Assists GIS developers (GIS Spatial Analysts II, III, & IV) in designing and testing GIS applications;
- Serves as liaison between users and vendor technical support staff on basic GIS issues;
- Writes and develops training materials and manuals with assistance from higher levelanalysts;
- Provides training to County employees in GIS and GIS specific applications;
- Teaches basic level GIS classes;
- Assists in GIS spatial analysis;
- Performs any of the illustrative duties in support of the Emergency Operations Center
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and methods related to GIS;
- Knowledge of functional requirements for GIS hardware and software;
- Knowledge of County standard GIS software;
- Knowledge of techniques for spatial analysis, geocoding, etc;
- Knowledge of principles, practices and methods related to cartography.
- Ability to document system modifications and enhancements;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships;
- Ability to write and present GIS materials;
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in computer science, geography or related field; plus course work in ArcView GIS or similar GIS software.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background, driving, and credit check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Knowledge of GIS data layer development and management using ArcView 10.x or higher. ArcSDE version editing, Trimble GPS, Python or similar coding, and Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop experience a plus. Must have a customer service oriented attitude and excellent communication skills. Works well independently and in a team environment.
Employee may be required to lift and carry computer equipment. Work requires the ability to operate keyboard driven equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.