COMMUNITY RELATIONS SPECIALIST
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES) is seeking an experienced professional to develop, implement, and coordinate strategies to facilitate, promote, support, and integrate community engagement in support of the Operations and Facilities & Engineering Divisions' capital programs and projects. The employee will be a member of the DES Communications and Engagement Team and will work closely with the Facilities and Operations Divisions.
Specific duties include:
- Developing and implementing resources, tools and training to enhance the Division's ability to engage with community members on information and issues related to the Operations and Facilities & Engineering Divisions;
- Developing and implementing internal policies and procedures to promote engagement with the community during all phases of capital work;
- Coordinating with project managers from the beginning of new projects or programs to make plans for community research and engagement;
- Serving as a member of the County-wide interdepartmental group that provides direction and guidance for public engagement initiatives across the County, and ensuring these efforts are applied to the Operations and Facilities & Engineering projects;
- Conducting outreach for capital projects, programs and initiatives including developing community forums, developing education materials and presentations for plans, projects and programs;
- Representing the Operations and Facilities & Engineering Divisions in advisory groups, civic associations, and other community meetings and events;
- Organizing public meetings, pop-ups, in-person and online engagement forums, and community events;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholder groups, including hard-to-reach, diverse and under-represented communities;
- Maintaining a database of community contacts (residents, businesses, non-profits, and other organizations) and venues for coordinating with contractors for communication materials, survey research and other outreach needs; and
- Coordinating with the County Manager and DES communication's teams regarding programs, projects and communications strategies.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Information, Business/Public Administration or related field plus considerable progressively responsible experience in the communications field that includes developing and implementing community engagement and public outreach strategies.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following:
- Developing and implementing internal policies and procedures to promote community engagement;
- Developing and implementing community engagement strategies for capital programs and projects;
- Planning, organizing and implementing a wide array of engagement opportunities including public meetings, in-person and online forums, and community events; and/or
- Communications technologies in web and/or information management arenas.
Applicant must possess (or obtain by time of appointment) a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain (or the applicant must provide) a copy of the applicant's official state or district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.Additional Information
Employee must travel occasionally to visit other departmental sites in Arlington, hold community meetings and events, and /or to meet with program staff.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional evening and weekend meetings expected.
The official title of this position is Communications Specialist II.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.