Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change. To support our mission, we seek an Accounting Manager to join our team.
This position will provide oversight to accounts payable, tax and compliance reporting, and certain general accounting functions. Additionally, position will include project management including assistance in new financial systems implementations and system upgrades, testing and work flow improvements. Position will also ensure thorough reviews of disbursements prior to release. The Accounting Manager will engage managers and directors across the organization on continuous process improvements to customer service for disbursements and other areas. In addition, the Accounting Manager will develop organizational communications and trainings of disbursement policies, procedures, and practices.
In this role you will:
- Oversee and provide guidance to the Accounts Payable and Purchasing functions. Establish policies and procedures so that a review of all disbursements is completed prior to release to ensure that payments are accurate, properly documented, approved and processed within the NWF disbursement policies and that established internal controls have been followed.
- Coordinate training of NWF staff on A/P, P/O and expense policies, procedures and system features. Work with and train staff in other departments on purchasing applications.
- Develop process improvements by engaging various department managers and directors and direct reports. Planned improvements include online file storage replacement, work flow enhancements and AP automation.
- Together with the Controller, be responsible for support and schedule preparation and review for annual financial statement audit and for oversight of the annual retirement plan audits, including financial statement preparation.
- Have direct oversight for the Federation's federal, state and local business and charitable registrations. Ensure that the filing database is maintained and updated with current filing deadlines. Review each filing for accuracy, changes in reporting and that attachments and answers reflect the reporting period or instructions. Update database with comments and notes to facilitate research, accuracy and timely filing. Provide guidance and training to the Staff Accountant.
- Be responsible for sales and use tax filings and compliance with various state tax laws, and be responsible for reviewing state charitable organization filings, annual reports, personal property tax filings and other filings as necessary.
- Implement and stay abreast of IRS, GAAP, FAS, state and other regulatory requirements that affect the accounting and reporting of NWF financial activities, including commercial co-ventures, lobbying, state charitable organization registrations, and other financial activities.
- Monitor purchase authority for all purchases, including obtaining contracts and bids in accordance with NWF corporate policy. Review purchasing contracts for vendors and independent contractors to ensure compliance with policies and terms.
- Communicate and negotiate payment terms with vendors. Work with Controller and Treasury area to meet organizational budget and goals, including payment terms discounts and monitoring cash flow as it relates to Accounts Payable.
- Develop timely and effective communication with NWF staff for expense reports, corporate card use, and other disbursement functions. Provide oversight for expense reporting, corporate credit card administration and processing, and invoicing.
- Assist the Controller with the Federation's Pension and 403(b) audits and any State/locality audits resulting from the disbursements area, such as sales and use tax.
- Serve as the Purchasing and Accounts Payable representative on Finance/HR/Benefits and IT team. Works with IT on systems' upgrades, updates, maintenance, development, testing and interfaces of financial systems applications for Accounts Payable and Purchasing and other supporting applications such as check printing and document image processing.
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned by supervisor or VP of Finance to meet departmental objectives.
- Oversee the preparation of Federal lobbying reports and state and locality filings/registrations and reporting. In addition, ensure that NWF complies with all government (IRS, states and other localities) tax regulations, GAAP reporting, and other applicable regulatory requirements, including 1099, W9 and W8Ben reporting and compliance and, 1042-S reporting.
- College degree, concentration in finance or accounting
- Minimum 6 years of accounting or financial management experience, ideally with not for profit industry experience. Financial management knowledge of Infor/Lawson preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications with ability to deal with various levels of staff and management throughout the organization.
- Strong project management and training skills.
- Ability to manipulate large amounts of data, with high detail and accuracy
- High level of integrity, good judgement, and attention to detail
- Ability to direct and supervise, with demonstrated management experience
- Active commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Passion for the preservation and protection of wildlife and wild places is highly desirable.
- Experience in environmental and conservation organizations a plus.
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) skills.
The employee's actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
We aspire to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, and religious and political belief. Diversity at the National Wildlife Federation translates into understanding and valuing each other's perspectives.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application. A background check will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter and resume directly.