ACADEMIC SPECIALIST (STRATEGIC ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR)
Occasional travel - 15% or less
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non Critical Sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security determination to occupy a Non Critical Sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.REQUIRED
- Have a master's degree and relevant professional expertise or experience and documented evidence of relevant knowledge and aptitude in African security studies and program management.
- Strong understanding of the Google Search Console and Google Analytics.
- Expert knowledge of how to use social media, digital media, and strategic communications to develop relevant and effective tactics and campaigns that reach targeted audiences and further the Center's strategic communications objectives.
- Experience managing video and audio files online and offline.
- Demonstrated experience and track record of engaging social media audiences on and increasing the understanding of contemporary and emerging African issues.
- Experience with social media messaging and responding to current events on social channels.
- Deep understanding of Africa's societally-based security challenges, trends, and priorities.
- At least five years' professional or academic experience focused on Africa, social and digital media, and website management.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a part of a Strategic Communications team.
- Experience in graphic design.
- Skilled in conducting audience and social media analysis and evaluation of products to ensure the Africa Center's digital content is meeting key objectives.
- Demonstrated time-and task-management skills.
- Experience in developing new insights and applying creative thinking and innovative solutions.
- Hands-on experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- French language proficiency.
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension. Applications for this vacancy require a narrative assessment questionnaire to be completed by each applicant and uploaded as a separate document with submission. The required narrative questions are listed in the "How You Will Be Evaluated" section. Responses to the narrative questions must be completed and uploaded with the other specified required documents.
The Africa Center has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The Africa Center employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. The Africa Center uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the Africa Center screening panel.
- Describe your experience managing social media content and messaging for a policy oriented institution.
- Describe your ability to manage a website with a diverse multinational audience.
- Describe your familiarity and expertise of Africa and its contemporary security challenges.
- Describe your experience creating and editing visual media.
- Describe your proficiency to multi-task and work collaboratively as part of a team.