Compliance Safety Officer III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $58,000-$65,000
Web Announcement :
Occupational Safety Officer
The George Mason University Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS)â€”within the department of Safety, Emergency, and Enterprise Risk Management is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic individual for the position of Occupational Safety Officer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
This position will work collaboratively with the Executive Director of Safety and Emergency Management, Occupational Safety Officer, Safety Coordinator, employees, and university departments to maintain and apply existing safety programs and recommend safety strategies in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and university safety requirements. This position will oversee the following institutional safety programs; shock and arc flash safety, performing arts safety, art safety, and serve as the primary safety liaison for athletic, student center, and regional campus operations.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in occupational health and safety, directly related science, engineering, environmental science, or public health discipline; or a combination of education and experience;
- Ability to work independently with strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and writing);
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Valid driverâ€™s license and a clean driving record (must be insurable);
- Knowledge of applicable safety regulations and standards;
- Ability to develop, implement, and maintain applicable safety programs;
- Ability to effectively conduct safety training to a diverse audience;
- Ability to conduct a thorough safety inspection;
- Knowledge and function of safety equipment (i.e., personal protective equipment, fall protection, lockout tagout devices);
- Ability to use a computer fluently, including Microsoft Office software;
- Physical ability to perform duties while wearing required respiratory equipment (must pass required medical exam); and must be able to crawl, bend, climb ladders, independently and safely move 40 pounds.
- Significant progressively responsible experience in the occupational health and safety field. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience at an institution of higher education;
- Knowledge and application of performing art, art safety, theater safety, and shock and arc flash safety requirements
- Certification in CPR/First Aid; and
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP).
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01715z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and 130 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :