Consulting firm in Gaithersburg, MD seeks a Senior Editor. This position entails editing diverse types of documents on many different health and environmental topics. The Senior Editor will collaborate closely with technical and non-technical staff to produce meeting summaries, newsletter content, strategic plans, fact sheets, and other documents. The ideal candidate will have experience working in the science or health publications field. The Senior Editor must be able to—
- Provide a substantive edit of material to ensure well-structured, logically organized content and inclusion of proper citations.
- Follow plain language guidelines, with the ability to translate technical writing into concise, engaging material for diverse audiences.
- Adhere to the detailed rules of different style guides (e.g., AP, GPO, client-specific), adapting quickly from one to another.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; science background helpful.
- Excellent substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading skills as applied to scientific/medical content.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in editing scientific or health-related content that makes research accessible to lay or technical audiences.
- Collaborative skills—can engage with a team of in-house staff in different departments.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially MS Word and Excel.
- Experience as a publications director or production schedule manager.
- Scientific or medical editing certification.
- Familiarity with content on women’s health, HIV/AIDS, allergy and infectious diseases, and environmental health issues such as asthma.
- Proposal writing, editing, and/or management experience.
- Work experience with NIH a plus.
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter stating salary requirements. Candidates will be expected to pass an editing test.
SCG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.