Materials Handler (FLO)
Occasional travel - Business travel 5%
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Materials Handler (FLO)~ without more than normal supervision. Shipping, receiving, storing and issuing materials in a warehouse. Receive, unload and process incoming shipments of items arriving via various modes of transportation. Assure items to be shipped and issued are properly marked, tagged and properly packed in suitable containers. Ensure that stock is properly loaded and braced for shipment. Select and prepare documentation for issue, shipment and receipt of stock. Conduct warehouse inventories, maintaining tallies during count. Assist in determining the reasons for overages, shortages, or misplaced items. Operate electric, gasoline, or diesel powered forklift trucks weighing up to 10,000 pounds and as high as 168 inches to load, unload, transfer, transport, stack, unstack palletized goods, boxes, crates, merchandise, materials and supplies from one location to another. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
- Attention to Detail
- Knowledge of Materials
- Packaging, Handling, Storage & Transportation
- Physical Effort: Employees are often required to stand on hard surfaces for extended periods of time, and bend, stoop, and work, in tiring and sometimes uncomfortable positions. They may lift and carry items that weigh up to 40 pounds. The heavier items are removed with material handling equipment or with assistance from other workers.
- Working Conditions: Work is performed inside and outside, in areas that may be hot,l damp, cold, drafty, or poorly lighted. Material handlers are regularly exposed to the possibility of cuts, scrapes, bruises, abrasions, falls, and injuries from falling stock. They may be exposed to dust, dirt, grease and solvents, and to high noise levels in merchanized work areas. When working in hazardous materials areas, they may be subject to exposure from radiant toxin's, explosive hazards, or chemical fumes. Work requires the wearing of protective clothing such as hardhats, steel toed shoes, rubber gloves, mask, etc.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 13 position.
- You may claim military spouse preference..
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- This position may be converted to permanent career or career-conditional appointment without further competition as long as all requirements are met. To be eligible for conversion, employee must complete at least 2 years of current continuous service under a term appointment in the competitive service AND employee must have a current performance rating under such term appointment of at least fully successful or equivalent.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.