Director of Communications and Marketing
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Mid 60s to High 70s Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director of Communications and Marketing
The Division of University Life at George Mason University is seeking interested and qualified candidates for the newly created Director of Communications and Marketing position. Reporting to the Executive Director of Divisional Operations and Planning, this position plans, implements and directs the Communications, Brand, and Marketing strategy for University Life. The successful candidate will lead a team of Communications and Marketing staff within University Life, implementing and managing a shared services delivery model for this function. This position advises division leadership regarding strategic communications and marketing efforts and works collaboratively with unit directors and other University stakeholders to support the divisions goals. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
University Life is implementing a shared services model for administrative functions across its division to evaluate and improve our administrative processes and best leverage staff resources. We are seeking a collaborative professional who can lead us in this effort for our Communications and Marketing functions. This position will provide leadership over these processes for a division of thirty university departments.
- Masters degree plus relevant professional experience (a minimum of five years is preferred); or an undergraduate degree in marketing, communications, English, or a related field, plus relevant director level professional experience (a minimum of eight years is preferred).
- Experience developing and managing high profile communications, coordinating such efforts with relevant media outlets.
- Significant experience developing and implementing strategic marketing campaigns and measuring the results of such campaigns.
- Big-picture, strategic thinker.
- Experience supervising other communications and marketing professionals to achieve positive results.
- Experience developing and leading effective social media campaigns and web presence optimization.
- Superior writing, editing, presentation, and organizational skills are essential.
- Strong collaboration, persuasion, and consensus-building skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a deadline-sensitive environment. Responsibilities:
- Leads the strategy and execution of the Communications and Marketing functions for the division of University Life, developing short and long term strategic plans, as well as providing input to departmental strategic actions addressing Communications and Marketing functions.
- Provides supervision and mentoring of University Life Marketing and Communications staff. Establishes and evaluates performance expectations for direct reports and guides professional development activities.
- Develops and executes both internal and external university communication strategies for the division. Coordinates divisional and unit communication plans to best support student success.
- Oversees the planning, development and ongoing maintenance of the University Life web presence reflecting more than 30 units and 60 websites.
- Manages and produces, in cooperation with division leadership and the university, news releases, crisis management communications, media inquiries, media statements, talking points, briefing materials, Q and A, news articles, University Life Quarterly newsletter and other materials for key internal and external audiences.
- Provides strategic management to ensure digital communications, publications, and Web sites provide a cohesive, on-brand message to internal and external audiences.
- Provides data-driven insights into communications and marketing efforts, ensuring that messaging from University Life resonate with the intended audience, and recommends changes to messaging techniques when more effective and successful methods are required.
- Provides oversight to the execution of Mason branding standards for the division, creating a process to ensure ongoing compliance with both digital and print materials including ongoing publishing of the University Life Advertising and Marketing guide.
- Implements and evaluates the delivery of the shared services model for the Communications and Marketing function for the division. Provides ongoing assessment of unit effectiveness and ensures continuous improvement of service delivery. Maximizes division resources allocated to this function.
Please complete and submit the online faculty application form, and upload cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references with contact information. 3 writing samples are also required.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. 3 writing samples are also required.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :