Water/Wastewater Senior Construction Inspector
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century. Dewberry is currently seeking a Senior Construction Inspector with background and experience in water and wastewater related infrastructure, to include pump stations, pressure pipeline, gravity pipeline, and treatment plants. The position will be based in Fairfax, Virginia, with projects geographically based in the mid-Atlantic region (e.g., Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., etc.). The Senior Construction Inspector will be responsible for project-specific inspection and constructability reviews during the design process. The successful candidate must have at least ten (10) years of experience with emphasis on water and wastewater facilities, and be able to demonstrate a knowledgeable background with certifications, skills, and ability to provide resident project representation and/or construction inspection. Experience with alternative delivery methods is desired, including construction management-at-risk (CMAR), design-build (DB), and traditional design-bid-build (DBB). Emphasis must be on water and wastewater facilities. Construction Management Professional (CMP) or Certified Construction Manager (CCM) certification is desirable, but not required.
- Monitor contractor’s operations to ensure compliance with plans, contract terms and specifications.
- Inspection of structural, mechanical, electrical, and site improvements work; coordinating schedules with the prime contractor and other agencies; reviewing and monitoring contractors' plan of operation; reviewing and providing technical guidance to engineer on contractor submittals and schedules; and advising contractors of violations and recommending adjustments to operations.
- Be familiar with and able to advise contractors of violations of safety procedures and recommend adjustments to bring these violations into compliance.
- Be familiar with and have participated in the inspection of startup activities.
- Taking field measurements of pay items and overseeing materials testing; checking equipment; maintaining and reviewing comprehensive project records including daily diaries, materials notebooks, as-built plans, understanding progress schedules, work orders, and monthly estimates.
- Associates degree in Construction Management or related field is preferred, but not required.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible related experience.
- Relevant certifications for water- and wastewater-related construction management and inspection. Ability to provide technical knowledge, read and interpret water and wastewater infrastructure construction drawings and contract specifications; apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine field adjustments; maintain detailed records; supervise and monitor required materials testing; and communicate effectively with owner and contractor personnel.
- Experience with alternative delivery methods is desired, including CMAR, DB, and DBB.
- Knowledge of current state and federal environmental laws and policies related to design and construction. Working skills in operating computer equipment and field inspection equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.