Landscape Architect III
Serves as a senior Park Authority specialist for the park master plan program and provides support to special studies, park system planning, and development plan review. Coordinates the efforts of staff from various park divisions and outside agencies, communicating expectations, deadlines, and project status. Coordinates public outreach and engagement for specific projects. Communicates complex ideas and concepts graphically, in writing, and verbally to diverse audiences for specific projects. Utilizes digital tools to illustrate facilities and concepts to aid stakeholders in visualizing future park improvements. Analyzes property for opportunities and constraints to development as well as resource protection. Analysis includes evaluation of existing physical conditions within the property and the context of the site within the surrounding community as well as its contribution to the larger county park network. Evaluates options and provides recommendations to improve equity, health, and access in park master plans.
Makes presentations to the Park Authority Board, Planning Commission, civic groups, and other interested parties regarding park plans. Effectively identifies, prioritizes, and communicates issues, and makes recommendations to resolve issues. Responds to requests for information from community members and staff from other divisions and agencies. Advises park planning staff on current and emerging parks and recreation issues and trends to consider in park master planning.
Evaluates development plans and makes recommendations to influence the planning and design of public spaces. Assesses feasibility of park improvement concepts and provides recommendations to advance the Park Authority mission. Works with applicants and outside agency staff to plan for future park needs and facilitate integration of urban park spaces within new developments.
Prepares and manages consultant contracts. Coordinates work effort of consultants to identify needed work product, insure timely completion, and accuracy. Processes requests for payment and resolves unsettled issues.
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of landscape architecture;
- Knowledge of park planning;
- Knowledge of construction practices;
- Knowledge of architecture, engineering and landscape architecture drawing and illustration practices;
- Ability to collect data, evaluate it and, from it, prepare special plans and/or reports;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with the public, county employees and Park Authority employees;
- Ability to speak and write effectively;
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of professional and technical employees in landscape architecture and/or park planning.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the child protective services registry and a driving record check check to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Two or more years public sector park planning experience.
- Education and/or experience in urban planning.
- Public engagement experience.
- Possession of a valid planning, landscape architecture or related field certification and/or license.
- Proficiency with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and CAD applications used in the preparation of design and planning documents.
- Excellent oral and written communication, organization and presentation skills, and a demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and diverse project teams.
- Knowledge of park system planning processes and urban design principles and techniques.
This position requires appointee to be able to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, type on a keyboard; lift up to 10 pounds; walk, stand or maneuver on diverse terrain with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview. Portfolio review.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.