Director of Financial Services
Thank you for considering Howard Community College in your search.
About Howard Community College:
Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
- Manages and supervises professional finance office staff and includes oversight of work related to: general ledger, audit, grant accounting and reporting, accounts receivable, cashiering, accounts payable, fixed asset and capital accounting. Cross training on financial duties of directors within finance is a requirement of this position.
- This position will directly supervise 3 administrative staff and 2 professional staff. There will be indirect supervision of 10 professional staff.
- Responsible for the internal accounting controls of areas assigned. Responsible to review, verify, and ensure proper accounting of all transactions related to areas assigned and assist with other areas within finance as needed.
- Coordinate efforts between finance, enrollment services, information systems, continuing education and academic service areas.
- Ensures compliance with federal and financial aid guidelines related to financial aid disbursements and refunds on the finance side of the house. Oversees the transmission of $10+ million in student refunds to third party vendor.
- Coordinate the validation and verification of AR coding on courses into colleague including timeliness and accuracy of the tuition tables within the student account system
- Oversees internal collection efforts including, preparing detailed analysis of accounts as needed as pertains to collection accounts receivable and the aging of the accounts while maintaining strategic vital sign goals.
- Responsible for review of annual tax filings including 1099 and 1098T's
- Prepares financial reports, surveys, state and federal reports as required.
- Coordination of the annual audit and oversight of the preparation of the work papers for areas assigned.
- Work in conjunction with the Finance Technology and Reporting Manager in utilizing querying software to develop, implement, and maintain overall finance department reporting and project needs, assuring success with multi-engagements. In coordination with IT, oversees accounting systems access and controls. Responsible for computerized accounting systems implementations, updates and related modifications of policies and procedures.
- Responsible for hiring and directing staff for the areas assigned in the finance department.
- Employee oversees and reviews outcomes of subordinates.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field required.
- CPA or equivalent experience (8 years).
- Master's Degree preferred or equivalent experience
- A minimum of eight years of experience, five years of which should be at management capacity.
- Management experience in a finance office preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting procedures and principles as they relate to all areas assigned.
- Ability to determine changes in regulations that affect our policies and procedures related to areas assigned.
- Ability to apply accounting principles and procedures to all areas of assignment.
- Ability to use own initiative to locate and resolve problems.
- Ability to coordinate with other areas of the college and external agencies to perform duties.
- Ability to interview, hire, train, direct, evaluate, discipline and provide supervisory support to subordinates.
- Ability to analyze accounting and administrative systems to ensure accuracy and recommend and initiate modifications if necessary.
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday; 8:30am-5pm
Compensation: $76,364 - $87,818 and will be commensurate with experience plus excellent health insurance, paid leave and tuition reimbursement
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
For Best Consideration, Submit By: October 17, 2018
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance with the job application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 443-518-1100. The TDD line phone # is: 443-518-4822.
Applicants must attach a resume and cover letter.
Link to application: