Litigation Legal Assistant
As a trusted advisor, LeClairRyan provides business counsel and client representation in corporate law, litigation, and intellectual property. In this role, the firm applies its knowledge, insight and skill to help clients achieve their business objectives while managing and minimizing their legal risks, difficulties and expenses. With 25 national, the firm has approximately 325 attorneys representing a wide variety of clients throughout the nation.
ULX Partners is a strategic business entity that empowers member law firms with true end-to-end client solution capability, capital to ensure pricing predictability and flexibility, and the ability to improve law firm economics. Founded in 2018 by enterprise legal services provider UnitedLex with LeClairRyan as the first member firm, the ULX Partners constellation comprises more than 400 professionals in 26 countries who provide a full range of legal, finance, human resources, IT, pricing, procurement, and knowledge management support services to its member law firms. By fusing the business and the practice of law, ULX Partners helps law firms better align the scope, staffing, and pricing of services with clients’ legal and business needs.
In partnership with LeClairRyan, we are excited to announce that we are currently seeking a Legal Assistant in our Alexandria, Virginia office who will contribute to overall success and help secure the bright future of our organization.
Our Alexandria, Virginia office is located at 2318 Mill Road near historic Old Town Alexandria and conveniently located near the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) and across the street from the Alexandria Division of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (“EDVA”), popularly known as the “Rocket Docket” for having the fastest time to trial of any court in the country! A benefit of our great location is easy access to public transportation as the Eisenhower Metro Station is 2 blocks away and the King Street Metro Station and Amtrak/VRE Station is a 10 minute walk or very short cab ride from the building. This office location, established in 2010, is home to approximately 30 attorneys whose practice areas range from Intellectual Property and Technology, white collar, business litigation, employment litigation and consumer financial services litigation.
This Litigation Legal Assistant will up to 4 litigation attorneys who provide services to clients in areas that include labor and employment, financial institutions and services and professional liability defense. This individual will contribute to the success of the team by completing responsibilities that include but are not limited to:
- Performing secretarial duties utilizing legal terminology, procedures, and documents.
- Proactively assist attorneys with all aspects of the litigation process from case inception through trial and appeal process.
- Be responsible for overall case file maintenance, requesting and maintaining records, including indexing and filing case materials, following up on outstanding matters.
- Preparing legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, motions, discovery documents, and subpoenas.
- Assist attorneys with all phases of discovery, including first draft responses to discovery as directed.
- Scheduling depositions
- Preparing trial documents, exhibits, witness binders/files and bates labeling documents
- Maintaining large volumes of documents including electronic and physical files.
- Coordinating and managing routine administrative work, such as opening matters, scheduling meetings and depositions, making travel arrangements, preparing expense reports, and time and data entry.
- The position may also assist with legal research, as needed.
- 2-5 years of litigation experience.
- Candidates should also possess strong organizations, interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills.
- All potential candidates should have previous experience performing the following tasks: drafting correspondence and pleadings; assisting attorneys in preparing for depositions, mediation, trial; document management; knowledge of court rules; proficiency in e-filing (state and federal); calendaring and docketing; and research skills.
- Experience with electronic document review platforms such as Summation, Concordance, including key word searching and assistance in production coordination.
- Each candidate must be able to handle multiple projects at the same time and be willing to work overtime if necessary
- Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Outlook.
- Candidates must be proficient with Nuance pdf Converter, Adobe Pro/Reader, WorkSite/FileSite document management system, and Westlaw or have experience with similar legal programs required.
LeClairRyan does not accept unsolicited resume submittals from contracted or non-contracted agencies. LeClairRyan is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.