Treasury Recent Graduates Program (Paralegal Specialist) (GS-0950-09)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
WHAT IS THE PATHWAYS PROGRAM? The Treasury's Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Successful applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. Following the completion of program requirements, selectees may be considered for non-competitive conversion to a career-conditional or term appointment. All conversion requirements will be identified in the Participant Agreement. Program requirements include but are not limited to:
- Successful completion of at least 1-year of continuous service;
- Completion of at least 40 hours of interactive training;
- Demonstration of successful job performance; and
- Meet the qualification standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To be eligible for the Recent Graduates Program, applicants must have, within the previous 2 years*, completed all educational requirements for a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying institution. For more information on education requirements go to Treasury’s Pathways Program.
*Veterans who, due to a military service obligation, were precluded from applying to a Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period may have their eligibility period extended so that they receive the full 2 years of eligibility. The remaining 2-year eligibility period will begin upon his or her release or discharge from active duty. The veteran's eligibility period may not extend beyond 6 years from the date of completion of all requirements of an academic course of study.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PATHWAYS PROGRAM? For additional information regarding the Pathways Program, please refer to the following website: www.usajobs.gov/StudentsAndGrads
To qualify for the grade 09 level, you must meet the following requirements:
A. Education: In the Recent Graduates Program you may qualify based solely on education as follows: Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B or J.D., if related. OR
B. Experience: You may qualify with one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: verifying legal citations and legal references on prepared legal documents, drafting and redacting non legal memoranda, research reports, and correspondence relating to cases; searching for and summarizing relevant information from a variety of automated sites for use in the preparation and release of legal documents; participating in the preparation of paperwork necessary for processing and completion of a case; researching statutes and precedents; writing basic legal memoranda, and preparing digest of selected decisions or opinions which compare legal references and analyses or precedents. This list is not inclusive. OR
C. You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
Applicants must have completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctoral or technical/vocational degree or certificate.
The education generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- All selectees must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
- Subject to a 1-year trial period.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of legal research and analysis sufficent to perform case development and documentation assignments; Ability to meet and deal with others effectively; Skill in using computer programs such as LEXIS, case management systems, EXCEL and word processing programs, to extract and/or input information, and Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Category-like rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Category A, Category B, and Category C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category. NOTE: If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that your qualifications and/or responses are not supported by your resume or transcript, your eligibility will be adjusted. Please follow instructions carefully.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Q - Nonsensitive Drug test required No