Natural Resource Specialist
25% or less - Overnight travel will be requried for training and work assignments.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Entitlements for payment of basic moving expenses, as required and to the extent allowed by the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR) 302-3.101, are authorized for eligible applicants changing duty station when the change meets the distance tests as provided in FTR 302-1.1 and 302-2.6. Additional relocation benefits are not available.
Recent Graduates are on a trial period for the duration of the program. If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training per year. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment. A mentor must be assigned within 90 days of appointment.
Recent Graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent position in the competitive service after the successful completion of one year of continuous service. To be eligible for conversion, the Recent Graduate must meet the following:
- Complete all requirements of the Recent Graduates program.
- Receive a favorable recommendation by supervisor.
- Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of the agency.
- Meet any agency specific requirements as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Perform the job successfully.
Applicants are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program, as described below, in order to be considered for this position.
Candidates must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2) years; OR
- If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree, academic documentation must accompany your application package to validate your upcoming graduation date (you must complete all degree requirements within 9 months of the application closing date to be considered a Recent Graduate); OR
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full two-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirement for the academic degree or certificate was received.
You must possess the Basic Requirements identified below to be considered qualified for this position, which includes all positive education requirements if applicable. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. When using previous work experience to qualify for the position, your resume must clearly detail the appropriate experience requirements.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS for the GS-05 and GS-07:
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
GS-05: No specialized experience required. Applicants who meet the basic education requirements described above are fully qualified for the GS-05 entry grade.
GS-07: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR one full year of graduate level education; OR an appropriate combination of graduate level education and specialized experience; OR Superior Academic Achievement (go to this website to determine if you are eligible: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp)
Specialized experience is defined as: Performing a variety of computations to prepare and summarize standard biological and/or geographical data for charts, graphs, and/or reports; assisting experienced natural resources specialists and biological scientists with studies, such as following a procedural guidebook in performing experiments, inspections, or evaluations while under direct supervision; preparing or assisting with the preparation of documents and visual aids such as data tables, slides, posters, brochures, progress reports, summaries of field or laboratory work, or drafting portions of manuscripts; and participating in operational or planning meetings to discuss environmental program or project milestones or activities. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Please note that Superior Academic Achievement can only be applied if you have graduated or completed (or expect to complete within 9 months) all the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.edu.gov/
Note regarding certificate programs: A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying education institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. While recently graduating from a certificate program may afford you Recent Graduate Program eligibility, it may not be sufficient in terms of qualification standards for the series and/or the grade level.
This position has a positive education requirement, as outlined above under basic qualifications. The term positive education requirement refers to an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) determination that the duties of a scientific, technical, or professional position cannot be performed by an individual that does not have the prescribed minimum education. For additional information on the qualification standards for the 0401 series, visit the OPM Qualifications Standard found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/
- Bargaining Unit Status: Eligible - Coverage is dependent upon unit location.
- This is a bargaining unit position represented by the National Federation of Federal Employees, IAMAW.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND FINGERPRINT CHECK: Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
- Availability of government housing will vary by location.
- Forest Service daycare facilities are not available.
- The incumbents of Recent Graduates positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee’s services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choice.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS “E-VERIFY” system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identification discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Recruitment incentives may be offered.
The Recent Graduate program requires a full time schedule the first year for training and development. Upon successful completion, you may be converted to a permanent full time (PFT) or permanent seasonal position (PSE). PSE schedules typically require at least six months in pay status (13 to 18 two-week pay periods), and employees may work additional pay periods by mutual agreement of the employee and unit.
Society of American Foresters (SAF) Conference Information:
The Forest Service will be attending the Society of American Foresters (SAF) in Portland, OR on October 4-5, 2018 and will be accepting applications online through USAJobs. This is a recruitment event for Pathways positions that will be available online. Applicant can come speak to Forest Service representatives and apply for positions via USAJobs during the Society of American Foresters (SAF) convention from 1pm – 6pm PDT on 10/4/2018 and 10am – 6pm PDT on 10/5/2018.
The link to the hiring event at the Society of American Foresters (SAF) convention can be found at: https://www.fs.fed.us/forestmanagement/recruitment_saf/index.shtml and https://www.eforester.org/safconvention
The SAF will be located at the Oregon Convention Center, 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Portland, OR 97232. Directions and parking for the SAF convention can be found at: https://www.oregoncc.org/visitors/parking-and-directions Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please note, this position is targeted toward graduates who have been awarded their bachelor’s degrees or who have completed one full year of graduate level education.
This position has a targeted effective date of Winter 2019.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, graduates should completely review the job description and requirements. Graduates should only apply for position if they meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions.
Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
Applicants, who meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduates program and the basic minimum requirements established for the position, may be referred to the selecting official for consideration. Qualified applicants with veteran’s preference are listed ahead of applicants who do not have veteran’s preference.
To view the application form, visit: https://fs.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=5EDAEDAC-81DE-4760-9164-A95F00EFD8D1