Emergency Coordinator I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Salary in the high $30k; With a two percent increase upon completion of academy training.
Web Announcement :
Search Extended: Previous applicants are still under active consideration
The George Mason University Department of Police and Public Safety invites applications for the position of Communications Officer. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Mason Police Department is a fully sworn, nationally accredited police department that provides professional police services to a diverse university population of over 35,000 students, faculty and staff. George Mason University is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William; as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth of Virginia.
Responsibilities: The Communications Officer works in the University Police Departmentâ€™s 24/7 Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP); and performs a variety of communications and operational tasks in support of public safety, security, and law enforcement operations in accordance with existing university, state and federal guidelines. Duties include answering emergency telephone lines, dispatching police officers, managing lost and found items, monitoring the university fire alarm system, monitoring the university closed-circuit television (CCTV) security system, and providing information and customer service to the university community via both telephone and a walk-up window.
Required Qualifications: National Crime Information Center/Virginia Crime Information Network (NCIC/VCIN) Operator Requirements as set out by the FBI Criminal Justice Information System:
- No felony convictions or convictions of misdemeanors involving crimes of moral turpitude or gross misconduct;
- Must not currently be wanted for any crime;
- Must not have been found guilty by reason of mental illness for any crime;
- Be a U.S. citizen or have been a lawful resident of the U.S. for the past 10 consecutive years;
- Be able to pass an extensive background investigation to include a polygraph and psychological assessment;
- Be able to attend and successfully complete an 80-hour police communications course at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy; and
- Become certified and maintain a NCIC/VCIN certification.
- Work rotating shifts, including evening and overnight shifts as well as holidays;
- Work with minimal supervision;
- Assist the public in a professional manner;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a very busy police communications center;
- Ability to communicate effectively via telephone and radio;
- Ability to handle stress under emergency situations;
- Ability to type at least 30-35 words per minute;
- Ability to successfully complete a CritiCall skills assessment;
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time;
- Experience operating computers using Microsoft Windows; and
- A high school diploma or equivalency.
- Previous experience working in a communications center is highly desired.
Both new and current state employees will be required to serve a one-year probationary period upon hire.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 10311z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by October 26, 2018; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Applicants must provide a valid e-mail address, as all communications from the department will be electronic.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-10-26