Scientist I/II, Compendial Development Laboratory (1202-679)
This is a non-supervisory, technical position in USP’s Compendial Development Laboratory (CDL). In this role, the Scientist I/II is responsible for working on technical problems in analytical chemistry related to the development and validation of specific methods that directly support monograph creation/revisions to the various USP compendia. This work includes development and/or validation of analytical procedures supporting the identity, strength, and purity of drug substances, drug products, dietary supplements, or excipients. The Scientist I/II has a broad range of experience in various analytical techniques in the laboratory and can troubleshoot, possibly lead, and provide input on difficult projects, while drawing independent conclusions about the results. He or she will make advances in science, processes, and internal capability that result in new or improved scientific expertise in the laboratory. The Scientist I/II may execute 90%-100% of their work at the bench level.Roles and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates solid scientific approach to analysis in the laboratory;
- Routinely applies personal experience, academic training, and technical insights to solve technical problems;
- Conducts method development and validation of analytical procedures according to USP and international standards;
- Perform all experimental activities and provide input on / draw conclusions required to evaluate proposed compendial procedures and reference materials;
- Records experimental data, ensuring clear and accurate transcription of results and calculations;
- Assists and / or conducts planning of experiments required for all projects, as well as interprets and evaluates data;
- Energetically participates and coordinates activities with laboratory teams and internal customers to execute technical tasks and communicate results of work;
- Executes all testing and analysis of data with excellence and essentially no errors;
- Demonstrates a strong desire to continue learning and grow personal capability;
- Participates and / or presents at internal and external scientific meetings;
- Pursues, recommends, and implements new approaches or processes to improve laboratory operations;
- Troubleshoots lab problems independently or with minimal assistance
- Positively influences project direction by ensuring work is congruent with overall direction of the customer and laboratory team
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with two years of relevant experience. In limited circumstances, an equivalent combination of training or special scientific accomplishments is acceptable in lieu of the years of relevant experience
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with four years of relevant experience. In limited circumstances, an equivalent combination of training or special scientific accomplishments is acceptable in lieu of the years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in a scientific discipline with two years of relevant experience. In limited circumstances, an equivalent combination of training or special scientific accomplishments is acceptable in lieu of the years of relevant experience.
Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States.
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular