The position is responsible for operating a school bus and transporting students and other authorized personnel safely and efficiently over specified routes to and from various activities. The position conducts pre-trip inspections; observes safety regulations and policies; enforces student discipline on the bus; and performs related work. The school bus driver is responsible for safely operating the school bus according to a daily schedule.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individuals
- Ensures that the bus can be operated safely before driving and conducts pre-trip safety inspections as required by federal and state laws to include observing visual defects and checking operating systems to include brakes, horn, lights, emergency flashers, extended stop arms, and door-opening devices.
- Transports students and staff to and from a variety of school sites/field trips.
- Attentive to traffic and weather conditions while staying on schedule and ensuring safety of passengers
- Maintains order to insure safety of passengers
- Reports all accidents immediately, requesting police or ambulance service as needed; assists injured persons until services arrive; and completes required accident reports.
- Maintains student discipline on the bus and enforces rules governing student conduct.
- Reports undisciplined students to the proper authority and compiles written reports as required by supervisory personnel.
- Reports any known mechanical repairs
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing and time schedules
- Attends meetings, programs and in-service trainings as assigned
- Maintains current required licenses and certificates
- Notifies appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route
- Keeps the interior of the assigned vehicle clean and presentable.
- Presents a neat and professional appearance at all times.
- Assists with some administrative and basic maintenance duties as assigned by supervisor
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, all valid applicable state license and other required certifications to operate company vehicles.
- Must possess an excellent driving record in compliance with corporation standards and excellent driving skills.
- Must remain in compliance with state/corporation regulations regarding the use of controlled substances and alcohol as applied to school bus drivers.
- Must meet the mandated physical and mental requirements established by the state and the US Department of Transportation
- CPR certification preferred
- Must possess ability to establish and maintain proper conduct and safety of passengers on the school bus and exercise good judgment and extreme caution while operating a school bus.
- Must possess the ability to maintain student discipline and ensure that student behavior is not a distraction to safe driving.
- Must possess the ability to interact with students, parents, and faculty in a positive and proper manner.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Duties are performed on a school bus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to loud noise levels; fumes or airborne particles; noxious odors; vibrations from driving a bus; and traffic. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; use foot controls to drive; reach with hands and arms; climb; bend, stoop, and kneel; and talk or hear. The employee must be physically able to perform and demonstrate emergency evacuation procedures. This includes the pushing/pulling of up to 50 pounds. In addition, have the ability to use emergency exits at any location on the bus. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, night/dusk vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.