Education Support Specialist
- Full Time
Job Category : Student Wage / Non-Student Wage
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Education Specialist, Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research
The George Mason University Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research (SEOR), within the Volgenau School of Engineering, seeks a proactive, organized and self-reliant professional for a part-time (75%) Education Specialist wage position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The main responsibility of this position is to support the interdisciplinary B.S. in Cyber Security Engineering program, which is administratively supported by the SEOR Department. Student advising comprises a significant role for this position. This position reports to the Chair of the Department of Systems Engineering and Operations Research. The position has direct responsibility for supporting the SEOR Chair as well as the Director of the B.S. in Cyber Security Engineering program (CYSE).
Responsibilities: The SEOR Education Specialist is a key person in the academic management of the B.S. in Cyber Security Engineering program, which is administratively supported by the SEOR Department. Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Student advising: Provide information guidance and advising to students regarding administrative and academic matters. Administer plan of study for all students. Notify students of potential issues.
- Graduation coordination: Review online graduation submissions and graduation requirements for students. Verify that all paperwork has been completed.
- Management of student databases and e-mail lists.
- Support for the B.S. in CYSE program brochures and catalog. In addition, the candidate may be asked to provide support for other administrative functions for the SEOR department such as coordination of class schedules, making arrangements for departmental functions, performing personnel actions for graduate teaching assistants, and so forth. The candidate will work in conjunction with two other SEOR Administrative and Program Specialists.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, have good communication, diplomacy and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to efficiently and effectively work in a fast paced environment; and the ability to work independently when needed and in a team-oriented environment when needed. Must effectively prioritize work assignments and manage time effectively. Must effectively handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meet deadlines, often under pressure, while maintaining flexibility regarding changes in priorities.
- Ability to receive, follow, and adhere to instructions;
- Openness to constructive feedback;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), customer service skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Ability to maintain and build positive relationships with Mason faculty and staff, students, the general public and external audiences;
- Ability to wisely handle situations that involve conflict; and
- Professional demeanor. Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree or equivalent in training and experience;
- Experience in advising students in administrative and academic matters;
- Knowledge of university procedures, policies and regulations;
- Ability to work within university information systems;
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software (particularly Microsoft Word and Excel) and email applications;
- Demonstrated directly relevant experience with office management.
Special Instructions : For full consideration applicants must complete the online application at https://jobs.gmu.edu for position WGC078, and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :