Assistant Director, Health Policy
ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is looking for an experienced policy professional with knowledge and experience in health care coverage and reimbursement to lead our efforts in code development, reimbursement, and policy education for radiation oncology physician services.
Located in Crystal City, the Assistant Director will serve as ASTRO’s staff liaison to the AMA CPT and RUC process. This individual will lead activities associated with CPT application development and RUC code valuation, as ASTRO’s Code Development and Valuation Subcommittee Liaison. Additionally, he/she will work with the health policy team to direct key projects in the department, including ASTRO’s Radiation Oncology Coding Resource, the ASTRO Coding and Coverage Seminar, and a payer education program involving webinars and other educational outreach. The individual will report to the Director of Health Policy and be responsible for supervising staff working on the society’s health policy initiatives. Minimum domestic travel required approximately 20% of the time, including weekends.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as staff liaison to the Code Development and Valuation Subcommittee, which involves the development of CPT code applications and RUC code valuation recommendations.
- Leads the production of the ASTRO Radiation Oncology Coding Resource.
- Directs the content development, planning and production of the ASTRO Coding and Coverage Seminar educational program, including presenting content.
- Oversees the content development, planning and production of ASTRO payer education programs, which may involve webinars, conference calls, and in-person meeting with both private payers, state Medicaid plans, and Medicare.
- Monitors the Federal Register, CMS, OIG and other regulatory websites and work with the department to respond to issues related to radiation oncology, including comments on Medicare payment rules.
- Provides content for ASTRO’s publications including ASTRO News, ASTROgrams, ASTRO website and other publications including writing relevant policy articles and coding education materials to keep ASTRO members current on coding and coverage related matters.
- Assists in content development for webinars. Interfaces with presenters and other departments within ASTRO to develop webinars. Writes marketing materials (i.e. web exclusives) to promote webinars. Manages webinar process to ensure deadlines are met.
- Participates in symposia, seminars and other meetings to maintain a professional network and keep current on coding, reimbursement and coverage issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Demonstrated health policy expertise in coding and coverage issues, including familiarity with physician reimbursement.
- Knowledge of health insurance and managed care issues.
- Excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills, including public presentations. Experience writing on coding and coverage issues.
- A minimum of 8 years of related work experience.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, while managing multiple tasks and meeting critical deadlines.
- Proficient in common business computer applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, master’s preferred.
- Previous management experience preferred.
Other Desired Qualifications include:
- AAPC or AHIMA coding certification preferred.
- Knowledge of reimbursement and coverage of physician services issues.
- Experience with medical association or radiation oncology practice preferred.
- Experience with CPT/RUC activities
- Strong familiarity with Medicare regulations.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Commuter benefits with employer subsidy
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance
- and more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume by clicking here.
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.