The skilled equipment technician performs general maintenance, preventative maintenance and repairs as well as oversight of installations for commercial food service related equipment throughout the school system; performs other related duties as assigned. This position will also ensure that the school district adheres to all related food service facility codes and regulations. In addition, monitor equipment warranties and tracks service repairs through our internal software tracking system.
Education: High school diploma or GED; Associates Degree in Refrigeration preferred but not required
Certificates & Licenses: Valid Virginia driver's license
Experience: A minimum of four years or more of experience in related field (commercial/kitchen food service equipment), refrigeration and maintenance field; or equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Knowledge of commercial food service (kitchen) equipment repairs, maintenance and installation techniques
- Knowledge in the operation of electrical control systems
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, schematics, and written reference materials
- Ability to operate a computer and assigned software
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations, diagnose and resolve problems, and use hand and power tools as needed.
- Review work requests and exercises considerable judgment in determining if the work is completed in house or out-sourced for commercial repairs.
- Oversee the repairs and maintenance of food service equipment such as hydro-ovens, combi ovens, convection ovens, steam-jacket kettles, steamers, CVAP holding cabinets, milk coolers, walk-ins and upright refrigerators/freezers and serving lines, etc.
- Meets with outside service companies and obtains price quotation when appropriate; oversees scheduling, and monitors and inspects all work for completeness and quality control from outside commercial equipment repair companies.
- Responds to problems related to cooling and refrigeration, suspicious odors, steam, gas, water, air systems and other urgent concerns.
- Repairs, cleans and reconditions equipment; replace or calibrate controls, thermostats, switches, fuses, and electrical wiring.
- Maintain Freon dispensing records to meet federal requirements.
- Maintain preventative maintenance schedules and procedures for all food service (kitchen) and refrigeration equipment and perform PM as needed, including changing of filters and cleaning condenser and coils.
- Installs and repairs doors, counters, shelves, storage units, fixtures and windows.
- Maintain computerized inventory of all district-owned tools, equipment and materials.
- Assembles installs, maintains and repairs food service equipment or components of food service equipment; follows schematic diagrams and written instructions; utilizes specialized equipment or associated equipment as needed.
- Identifies, coordinates and schedules scope of work related to the removal and installation of food service equipment or the renovation or repair of school nutrition services facilities.
- Assess school food service facility needs; flags equipment or facility problems; identifies and schedules appropriate preventative maintenance and repairs.
- Ensures the school district adheres to all related food service facility codes and regulations
- Examines the school district's food service facilities on a regular basis to determine the safety, effectiveness and efficiency of the facility and equipment, informs appropriate personnel, and ensures corrections are made.
- Requisitions supplies, materials and equipment needed by SNS; approves outside repairs invoices as well as any related food service shop invoices; completes, maintains and submits accurate purchasing receipts, cost reports, inventories and other records as required.
- Have considerable knowledge of District's computerized work order system; all department operating procedures, work order procedures and P-Card procedures, and Temp-Trak software
- Conduct equipment training for operation and general care and maintenance of equipment to end users.
- Schedules work for each day and for the week; reports daily accomplished results and submits weekly.
- This position is considered an essential position for the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.