Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
The Office of Technology Transfer (OTT) in the George Mason University (GMU) is responsible for protecting intellectual property (IP) rights of inventions by faculty, researchers and students at GMU. OTT also accelerates and facilitates the commercialization of university research and technology. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
George Mason University is currently seeking a highly motivated, dynamic and outgoing individual for the position of Licensing Associate. This position reports directly to the Director of OTT and will assist in all aspects of protecting and commercializing new technologies developed at the GMU. The Licensing Associate solicits and evaluates invention disclosures; conducts technology assessments from a patentability and commercialization perspective; markets university inventions; negotiates licenses and other agreements and be involved with all aspects of IP protection.
- Promote the mission and business of OTT by developing strong and positive relationships with GMU inventors, Legal Counsel, prospective and actual licensees, and colleagues;
- Solicit, screen and evaluate invention disclosures and make recommendations for selected disclosures for intellectual property protection.
- Assist in managing complex IP portfolios, which includes, managing the patent prosecution with external Counsel for selected inventions;
- Formulate and implement licensing and IP management strategies;
- Develop and execute marketing strategies/plans for inventions; use multiple channels to engage potential licensees;
- Participate in outreach events to educate prospective inventors and to promote licensing opportunities; prepare flyers and write contents for posting on OTT website.
- Negotiate and execute licenses, and other agreements; draft contractual documents including confidentiality and inter-institutional agreements;
- Identify potential commercial applications and business partners for GMU inventions;
- Provide continuous management of existing agreements for performance, compliance, and payment of associated fees;
- Perform other duties within the scope of the position, as required by OTT or the University. Required Qualifications:
- Masters degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Bio-med Engineering or related field.
- General knowledge of intellectual property law, intellectual property evaluation, and contracts, especially as it pertains to university setting; experience working collaboratively with researchers or technical staff in intellectual property matters.
- Ability to market technology to industrial partners and ability to perform technical feasibility and competitive landscape analyses; performing market analyses; performing preliminary patentability assessment; and new venture creation.
- Ability to handle a wide variety of projects simultaneously to meet deadlines and be productive within a dynamic and ever-changing environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, academics, and other professionals, including external agencies, with varied interests and perspectives.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently as well as in a team is necessary. Preferred Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Bio-med Engineering or business.
- A background in marketing, sales, licensing, negotiating and/or business development, and significant record of successful technology evaluation and transfer in areas of engineering, physical sciences, software and devices.
- Some experience in the following areas: drafting and negotiating license agreements within a university/non-profit institution; working knowledge of intellectual property law - including Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets and or some business experience.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :