Scientist IV-V Team Leader (1196-679)
This is a key hands-on supervisory position in USP’s Reference Standards Laboratory. In this role, the Scientist IV/V / Team Leader is responsible for a team of scientists conducting routine and non-routine analyses of candidate reference materials and stability samples by appropriate analytical methods as part of USP collaborative testing program. The Scientist IV/V / Team Leader assigns tests to his/her team members, provides technical oversight and solves technical problems, reviews generated data, generates and issues reports, and serves as point of contact with Reference Standards Scientists for questions and comments. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring full utilization of assigned staff members, working closely with his/her supervisor to manage workloads. The Scientist IV/ V / Team Leader performs the performance reviews of team members and oversees their career development. When appropriate, the incumbent may work hands-on on technical problems or conduct testing. The Scientist IV/ V / Team Leader also serves as the point of contact with Reference Standard Scientists for questions and comments. In addition, the incumbent takes responsibility for his/her team members’ compliance with SOPs and procedures; and responds to QA audits, when appropriate.Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides technical oversight to assigned team of scientists, including assignment of tests, providing technical support, reviewing of data, and generating and issuing reports;
- Provides administrative oversight by ensuring full utilization of assigned staff, and through participation in performance reviews;
- Provides project and technical support within RSL, including managing project tasks via interacting with clients on activities related to the evaluation of candidate reference materials and collaborating with RSL leaders, other departments, and/or customers to create an achievable work schedule;
- Participates in cross-functional teams involved in Reference Material Development, including test protocol generation and review;
- Serves as a mentor for scientists in the laboratory regarding technical knowledge, work ethic, and attitude;
- Initiates and coordinates Lab Investigations and Deviations when necessary;
- Represents RSL in internal customer meetings to receive/deliver information, requests and requirements;
- Takes the lead in working with other departments within the organization to solve both technical and process-related issues;
- Prepares study reports and presents data internally within USP and externally to customers; serves as the technical lead for deviation investigation, out-of-specification or aberrant results and process changes; troubleshoots assay and instrumentation issues. This will involve data mining, trending and analysis to identify problems or determine process control;
- Reviews, interprets, and evaluates scientific literature;
- Investigates, evaluates, and recommends the purchase of laboratory equipment;
- Attends scientific seminars and presents scientific work.
Scientist IV/Team Leader
- Ph.D. in Science and 5 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
- M.S. in Science and 7 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
- B.A. /B.S. in Science and 9 years of relevant laboratory experience.
Scientist V/Team Leader
- Ph.D. in Science and 8 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
- M.S. in Science and 10 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
- B.A. /B.S. in Science and 12 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Proficient with testing involving compendial methods for raw materials (USP, BP, EP, etc.).
- Expert in HPLC and GC method development and troubleshooting; and proficient in other related analytical instrumentation (e.g., FTIR, LOD, MS, ICP, KF, UV, CHN, TGA, DSC).
- Skilled to anticipate, troubleshoot, and solve technical problems.
- Ability to plan and conduct research projects independently.
- Ability to take personal responsibility to ensure work is delivered on time and is the highest possible quality.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to lead a team of scientists in bringing projects to completion with a high degree of scientific expertise.
- Ability to build technical expertise in others by serving as a role model and mentor.
- Ability to inspire compliance in following SOPs and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a prior experience in dealing with conflict and/or differences of opinions in a workplace.
Provides technical and administrative supervision of a team of 4-6 scientists
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular