IP Docketing Specialist
IP DOCKETING SPECIALIST
Large, D.C.-based global law firm has an immediate need for an IP Docket Specialist to join a busy and growing practice. The candidate will provide electronic-based, timely, detailed, and accurate docketing support to the IP attorneys and staff, maintain the docket records according to established policies and procedures, perform all functions relating to review of documents, and exercise discretion and confidentiality in maintaining contact with clients, attorneys and staff.
Additional responsibilities will include:
• Reading, docketing, and distributing incoming mail from the USPTO, direct clients, and all other foreign government agencies and/or foreign associates, using electronic procedures.
• Opening new matters, including identifying matter-type for rule sets, entering key bibliographic information with perfect accuracy (e.g. priority application information, inventor names, assignee names), and coordinating with the Conflicts Department to activate matters and client numbers, as necessary.
• Scanning legal documents into the Firm’s electronic document management system.
• Confirming the accuracy of abandonment instructions and handling formal abandonment procedures in the docketing system for matter files.
• Running complex queries, generating and formatting Excel reports for internal and external clients, and conducting internet research to obtain case information and perform status checks.
• Proofreading the work of others related to the docketing of routine correspondence (e.g. USPTO mail, client mail, and new matter requests.)
• Working as part of a team to identify, collectively distribute, and effectively complete all work received by the Docket Department each day.
• Maintaining positive contact with attorneys, staff, and clients, and observing confidentiality of Docket Department and/or Firm matters.
• Understanding (and being able to explain) docketing policies, procedures, and risk management measures as they relate to USPTO requirements and as communicated by foreign agents relating to other Intellectual Property governing entities.
• Identifying the critical dates and key information in less commonly docketed documents and effectively protecting the clients and the Firm from docketing risks, even when there is no defined docketing departmental protocol.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent training (legal experience may substitute for education). The candidate should have a minimum of one (1) year of U.S. docketing experience (foreign and trademark are a huge plus). Proficiency with Microsoft Office and IP Manager (or related docketing system) is required. Candidate needs excellent communication and organizational skills, ability to follow directions, problem-solving skills, and the ability to perform simple math functions quickly and accurately. In this role the candidate will need to work at a fast pace and work needs to be completed accurately and in a timely manner. Some overtime may be required.
Firm offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please submit resumes in Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply for IP Docketing Specialist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly