School Social Worker
We are looking for highly motivated and skilled talent to join our team at District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). We seek individuals who are passionate about transforming the DC school system and making a significant difference in the lives of public school students, parents, principals, teachers, and central office employees.
DCPS serves 48,600 students in the nation's capital through the efforts of approximately 4,000 educators in 112 schools. As part of a comprehensive reform effort to become the preeminent urban school system in America, DCPS intends to have the highest-performing, best paid, most satisfied, and most honored educator force in the nation and a distinctive central office staff whose work supports and drives instructional excellence and significant achievement gains for DCPS students.
The School Social Worker is jointly managed by DCPS local school administration and the Office of Equity (OOE), School Mental Health Division; receiving technical assistance, guidance and instruction while working in coordination with managers from the OOE. The offices are responsible for providing services to students with special needs and the general education student population. As such, the School Social Worker is involved in the following three (3) key areas: (1) preventive and advocacy work with students, staff, and families that promotes positive school climate and social/emotional well-being; (2) program development and planning to meet the unique needs of the school through contributions to school wide policies; and (3) direct services to students and families inclusive of general and special education students. This position is a safety-sensitive position. As a result, throughout employment this position will be subject to the Employee Mandatory Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy. The Social Worker will report to the Principal.
- Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW).
- District of Columbia Government, Department of Health Professional License, which must be renewed every two years by obtaining the required continuing education units: Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW).
- District of Columbia Certification as a School Social Worker, which must be maintained throughout employment with DC Public Schools.
- At least three years of work experience as a Social Worker in an urban school/setting with a track record of high student achievement.
- Ability to conduct clinical interviews and write comprehensive social history evaluations.
- Ability to administer, interpret, and analyze related assessment instruments.