Project Manager, Strategic Business Ventures (1195-679)
The New Ventures Team has as its primary objective to optimize the benefit that USP obtains from its strategic investments, via a combination of program development and business development (acquisitions, partnerships). This is a non-supervisory position located within the Ventures Team.
The Project Manager – New Ventures will be responsible for planning, executing and managing initiatives that are part of the New Ventures portfolio, working within the New Ventures team, and collaborating with an extended team and stakeholders across the organization according to the needs of the specific initiative. This will include definition/refinement of strategy, and development of the initiatives based on the strategy, including: definition/validation of a value proposition, benefits analysis, financial modeling, operational planning and resourcing, launch planning, risk analysis
Key partners for the New Ventures Group include the Enterprise Strategy group, which is responsible for defining overall strategy for the organization, the Research and Innovation group, which develops a portfolio of early stage ideas, and the Program Units, via which USP conducts its mission. Significant interaction also occurs with all the Strategic support functions that support the Program Units.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in assessing the role of partnering, business development in a specific venture situation, then take the output and build it into the business venture plan
Strategy refinement and Venture modules definition
- Refine the core idea and value proposition when appropriate
- Refine and tailor the modules that each venture will need in order to operate in a consistent and sustainable manner
- Venture modules are the business processes that are needed for the venture to operate successfully (Sales and Marketing, Production, Financial management, Sourcing/Procurement, Logistics etc.)
- Plan and execute against projects within the Ventures group
Program Unit Collaboration
- Work with the PUTs on assembling teams for the venture, launching the teams, and managing for success
Strategic Support Function Collaboration
- Collaborate with Strategic Support functions on specific initiatives to obtain the best model/approach and outcome
- MS degree in Chemistry, Chemical /Biochemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Finance or Business Development
- At least 5 years post-BS experience in Pharma or Biopharma, Chemicals or Materials, or Biological Sciences
- Exposure to business environment for at least 3 years (production/operations, finance, business development or equivalent)
- Experience in planning and executing projects that include multiple departments (for example, R&D, Technology, Finance, Business Development, Production/Operations)
- Enjoys dealing with new, unfamiliar problems
- Evidence of broad problem solving effectiveness (has successfully learned and applied learning in new areas multiple times)
- Adept at working in a matrix organization
- Experience with planning, tracking and performance management of programs/ initiatives
- Broad experience in planning, executing, and managing projects that include multiple departments
- Demonstrated success in moving initiatives to a successful conclusion
- PhD preferred
USP offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Generous paid time off – 13 paid holidays, 10 sick days and 15 vacation days per year to start
- An annual 401(k) contribution, beginning after 1 year of service, of 10% of pay (base and bonus) every pay period that vests immediately
- Comprehensive individual and family healthcare plans with affordable premiums and low annual deductibles ($250/individual or $500/family)
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
Being a part of USP means belonging to a diverse culture made up of more than 1,000 talented professionals working together at five international locations. We share our expertise in science, IT, human resources, quality assurance, communications, administrative management, and more...all to support an overall mission dedicated to making a difference by providing standards and programs that help improve the quality of medicines, dietary supplements, and foods worldwide.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.Job Location Rockville, Maryland, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular