Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer reports directly to the CEO of this well-established insurance Trust
in Rockville. The COO is responsible for using a broad knowledge of insurance and regulatory
frameworks to create and support continuous business growth based on a business/marketing plan
which is consistent with the company’s strategic plan. Additionally, the COO will provide oversight
and direction of the daily functions for senior level staff providing leadership, management
and vision to ensure appropriate controls are in place for operational efficiencies.
The COO will also be responsible for analyzing legal issues and assuring legal compliance in conjunction
with outside General Counsel; assists in protecting the legal interests of the company and
assuring legal and regulatory compliance.
- Maintain an understanding of the company’s internal operations, set the direction and evaluate how changes must occur to support stability and growth consistent with the Strategic Plan
- Serve the role as inside legal counsel, protecting the legal interests of the company, reviewing key documents, contracts and presenting sound recommendations
- Recommend expansion of product lines based upon competitive needs
- Serve as a negotiating partner and as an escalation point with carrier or broker interface
- Review and analyze state and federal insurance and licensing regulations to assist in risk management activities
- Manage and implement short and long-range departmental/staff goals, objectives and operating procedures consistent with the Strategic Plan
Experience & Competencies Required:
- Minimum of 8-10 years of corporate insurance industry experience, with C-suite level experience
- BS/BA and JD degree, with admission to a State Bar required. MBA preferred.
- Expert knowledge of leadership and direction, daily operations of an insurance organization
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to gain immediate respect and influence senior management
- Must have demonstrated success in driving change, advocating new ideas, methods and approaches
- A well organized and self-directed individual who is “politically savvy” and a team player
- Exceptional communication skills that include listening, facilitation, conflict resolution, negotiation and influence both internally and externally with people at all levels of an organization
- Possession of strong relationship building skills and effectiveness in building trust and cooperation across various functional groups
- Moderate travel and extended hours required
We offer a business casual environment in a central Rockville location, convenient to METRO, MARC, with garage parking in our building. Amazing benefits package including a low employee cost CareFirst platinum medical and dental plan, Life insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability insurance, 401(k) with match, Defined Benefit plan, Flex Spending Account, Vision plan and pre-tax transportation payroll deduction. We offer generous PTO (paid time off) and 11 paid holidays.