Cook (CYS), NA-06
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
appliances and equipment.
2. Be able to communicate (verbal and written) in English.
3. Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. on a routine basis.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Basic knowledge of food preparation principles and practical understanding of the physical processes that occur in cooking. Knowledge of proper cooking temperatures and preparation methods for a variety of foods. Ability to schedule and coordinate preparation of a number of different foods in order to ensure that they are ready for service at the appropriate mealtime. Knowledge of food borne illnesses, food safety, and proper storage methods for hot and cold food items in order to prevent loss or illness due to spoilage. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, particularly standard recipes, and detailed cooking instructions. Skill in operating and cleaning a wide variety of food service equipment, including special equipment for the preparation of large volume items. Skill in carving, preparing garnishes, and assembling attractive platters, salads, and other food presentations.
Assignments are received orally or in writing from a higher graded cook or supervisor. Employee plans, coordinates, and times assignments to
assure that food items are prepared at correct temperature and on time. Assists in training lower grade cooks or kitchen help and provide advice on
how to improve their work methods. Employee is responsible for the safe use and care of kitchen equipment, for personnel and environmental
safety, and for personal hygiene. Work is evaluated in process and upon completion by the supervisor or higher-grade cook in terms of timeliness,
quality, flavor, and appearance of prepared foods and conformance to sanitation and safety standards.
Work involves continual standing and walking, frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. Must be able to lift or move objects up to 40 pounds unassisted, and occasionally lift or move objects weighing over 40 pounds with the assistance of other workers or lifting devices.
Work is performed in kitchen areas, which are well lighted but are often hot and noisy. Employee is exposed to steam, fumes, odors from cooking, and to extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigerators or freezing units. Must stand on tile floor, subject to burns, cuts, bruises, and slipping on wet floors.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (Click here to view kit or copy this URL: http://cpol.army.mil/employ/NAF/NAF_Applicant_Information_Kit.pdf
- Applications are valid for 90 days after submission date. Applicants will be referred to selecting officials as additional vacancies occur.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference - Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference - Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)