Principal IT Systems Engineer
Join an innovative team that is responsible for transforming the customer experience by creating and bringing to market new products and services based upon globalized connectivity without boundaries. We reach beyond the traditional satellite industry and the broader communications landscape. As part of the Intelsat vision, we will define new products with the performance, features, and flexibility required to open new profitable markets, drive new revenue streams and ensure the most reliable and secure communications globally. To accomplish our goal, we are looking for bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Primary Purpose Of The Position
The Principal IT Systems Engineer serves as a key contributor on the IT Operations team, integrally involved in implementation and support services. These services include Unix operating systems, Microsoft Active Directory and its core services (DNS, WINS, DHCP, IIS), Network and Security infrastructure, SAN (NetApp), Citrix, VMWare, Highly Available Clusters as well as various backup, monitoring, deployment, and management solutions. This position must be extremely familiar with Unix system administration best practices, NetApp and VMWare, and be able to communicate them to peers and less experienced staff. They will also support operational requirement analysis efforts, perform technical evaluations, integrate COTS & custom applications, define solutions, develop processes and provide technical leadership to the IT Operations team.
- Define, implement, and audit computing infrastructure standards and guidelines.
- Develop and document all system architecture and computing infrastructure.
- Perform various roles of project engineer, project manager, etc. as needed to support initiatives within IT Operations.
- Establish, enforce, improve, and standardize system level architectural design and IT practices encompassing entire system release cycle in all production areas.
- Define operational strategies, schedules, upgrades, tools, documentation, and plans for software and hardware systems that are submitted for Intelsat production environments.
- Support highly available architecture and disaster recovery strategies of Intelsat operational systems to provide technical solutions.
- Perform trending analysis and metrics definitions for improved operations.
- Evaluate systems, performance, and issues in order to provide recommendations for improvements.
- Ensure consistency of design methodology between operational projects.
- Assist IT Operations management with establishment of group vision, direction, and roadmap for improved operational efficiency.
- Provide IT Operational views, strategies, and concepts to other IT Project teams.
- Provide standard process for documenting the computing infrastructure for all environments.
- Establish process and technical solutions to capture metrics of production environments to be used for improving operational efficiencies.
- Participate in the initial formulation, analysis and design phases of the systems development life cycle to support Intelsat operations.
- Specify and/or select appropriate hardware, COTS products and toolsets, in conjunction with system architects and departmental system engineers as it pertains to the IT Operational function.
- Monitor technical contracts with vendors and software providers, to ensure contractual requirements are met.
- Interface with IT staff, integration and test staff, development staff, project staff, other operational area system engineers, and system architects.
Required Skills, Knowledge, And Abilities
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field, with at least five (5) years of direct work experience in production environments support/engineering, project management of technical projects, UNIX and Windows operating environments, Storage Area Networks, Virtualization Products like Citrix, VMWAre and systems engineering disciplines; seven (7) years preferred.
- Must have at least five years of experience in:
- Promotion Model (CM, Imaging, Packaging, Distributions schemes)
- Directory Services and access methodologies (ADS, LDAP)
- Network technology, Information Security and protocols
- SAN (NetApp)
- VMWare, Citrix
- COTS (Oracle, High Availability, Disaster Recovery, etc.)
- Demonstrated skill as a team lead and mentor to junior staff required, as well as a proven track record with technical projects in a complex real-time systems environment.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate clearly both written and verbally.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.