Supervisory Economist, GS-0110-15
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
- Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus. OR
- A combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. Examples of qualifying experience include: a) individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation; b) supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or c) teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following (1) personal research that produced evidence of results, (2) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (3) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems.
In addition to meeting the BASIC REQUIREMENTS above, applicants must have one (1) year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the next lower level (GS-14) in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped you with the particular ability, skill, and knowledge to successfully perform the duties of this position and is typically in or related to this line of work.
Specialized experience includes:
- Experience leading and/or directing a staff of economics professionals, technical and administrative support personnel; and
- Experience presenting research summaries and other technical reports to a variety of groups and individuals
- Experience conducting economic reviews of existing standards and regulations to test estimated effects and economic impacts.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
This is a supervisory position, under provisions of the Civil Service Reform Act, first time supervisors and/or managers will be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
For Veterans' preference eligibility, visit Veterans' Employment Resources. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. See the required documents section of the announcement.
More than one (1) selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 60 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 202-795-6351. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line assessment to place you in one of three categories.
The necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to perform this job are:
- Mastery of the theory, principles, concepts, and practices of economics to complete very broad and difficult assignments.
- Ability to develop and apply economic techniques and methodologies to develop economic guidelines or to solve problems not susceptible to treatment by accepted methods.
- Skill to accomplish probing, innovative analyses that involve complex variables that impact the development, interpretation, or implementation of agency program policies.
- Ability to write and develop policies, specifications, and standards for agency-wide economic programs and activities.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
1. Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) and appropriate Quality Ranking Factors (QRF) as determined by the job analysis.
2. Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis.
3. Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most of the critical competencies, including all SPFs and appropriate QRFs as determined by the job analysis.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they are qualified. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. For information on veterans' preference, click here.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No