Research Ecologist/Research Plant Physiologist
Occasional travel - To attend scientific meetings and conferences.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
CONFIDENTIAL FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE REPORT: Federal employees are subject to prohibitions against officially dealing with outside organizations in which they have a financial interest. If hired for this position, you may be required to submit a financial disclosure report within 30 days of the effective date of your appointment and annually thereafter.
To be considered for a research scientist position, you must submit a one-page abstract of your MS thesis and/or Ph.D. dissertation. Also, submit a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, recognition; any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitation); and publications.
• Travel will be required.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement including the following specialized experience and/or education, as identified by grade level.
Your education and experience will be evaluated against all qualification requirements (basic and any additional requirements) listed below.
Graduate education must be directly related to the work of the position and must have equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Plant Physiology Series 0435
Degree: botany or plant physiology; or a related scientific discipline that included at least 10 semester hours in plant physiology.
Ecology Series, 0408
Degree: biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements described above, applicants must also meet additional qualification requirements as stated below.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for this position are:
GS-12: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service OR have a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree directly related to the duties of the position OR a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience. The specialized experience requirements for this position at the GS-12 level are:
• Experience defining research problems, developing and executing a research plan, and evaluating results related to plant responses to climate change factors;
• Experience using methodologies to develop, test, and apply mathematical models of plant processes and to simulate climate projections using field facilities such as open top chambers and free air CO2 enrichment systems, and controlled environment chambers; and
• Experience publishing research in peer-reviewed scientific journals in plant physiology, ecology, or physiological ecology.
GS-13: Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-13 level of this position are:
• Experience in conducting research and developing genetic and management models, software tools that would improve the response of agricultural systems to climate change;
• Publishing research results in peer reviewed journals related to adaptation of crops to climate change factors; and
• Presenting information to professional societies on technical matters and practices in the area of response and adaptation of crops to climate change factors, and crop simulation modeling.
Applicants must address the specialized experience requirements in their resume (or application documents). Applications that do not reflect the specialized experience requirements will not be deemed qualified.
Research scientists have open-ended promotion potential. Research accomplishments and their impact on the duties and responsibilities of positions are evaluated periodically. The grade level is limited only by the individual's demonstrated ability to perform research of recognized importance to science and technology. *Final grade level may be determined by a peer review panel.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made. Selections are typically made within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
For more information on the qualifications for this position, click here:
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible see http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workfordce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, surplus or displaced Federal employee must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors, and be rated in the Quality Category as described in the How You Will Be Evaluated section.
- This announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies.
- This position is eligible for telework and other flexible work arrangements. Employee participation is at the discretion of the supervisor.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated in accordance with the category rating procedure as defined in the USDA Demonstration Project Plan. Applicants who meet the basic minimum qualification requirements established for the position will be placed in the Eligible category. Eligible applicants will be further evaluated against criteria for placement in the Quality category. This evaluation is based on the level of your experience, education, and/or training as determined by your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire. Applicants with veterans' preference are listed ahead of applicants who do not have veterans' preference within each category.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating may be lowered to more accurately reflect the submitted documentation. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply Online" button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://ars.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=9EA93C5D-BD1F-4EA2-9F68-A91C00CD6320 Read more Security clearance Not Applicable Drug test required No