Motor Equipment Operator
Reports to Flatlick Maintenance Shop, 4501 Brookfield Corp Drive, Chantilly, VA 20151 daily and is dispatched to work locations throughout the county.
Under the direction of Heavy Equipment Operator participates in the performance of a range of skilled and semi-skilled construction and renovation tasks. Tasks include; operation of backhoes, skid steer loaders and other motorized construction equipment, removal of down trees and debris, stabilizing disturbed soils, transporting construction equipment and materials and operating tandem dump trucks with trailers and operating a low-boy tractor trailer. Will respond to work sites throughout the county. Responsible for safety requirements for equipment operation and maintenance procedures. Uses gas power equipment. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. May act as supervisor in the absence of the Heavy Equipment Operator and completes required documentation and reports.
- Operates single-axle dump trucks and small trailers in the loading, unloading, and transportation of small motor equipment;
- Operates various small equipment such as tampers, chain saws, concrete saws, etc.;
- Performs maintenance on medium/small equipment and vehicles (such as checking and adding fuel, water, oil and air; checking the brakes and cleaning vehicles);
- May perform a variety of laborer tasks, such as digging, loading, snow shoveling, grass cutting, brush removal, asphalt leveling and raking, lifting, pushing, and other physical work;
- Ensures that appropriate safety procedures are followed when working near equipment;
- Reads and interprets engineering plans for utility location prior to excavation;
- May lead a small crew of laborers;
- Effectively communicates with employees, supervisors and customers;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Working knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Working knowledge of general maintenance of light motorized equipment;
- Working knowledge of computers:
- Skill in the operation of gasoline-powered construction and maintenance equipment;
- Ability to perform light maintenance on this equipment;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc.;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to lead the work of others.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade; and two years of experience in the operation of medium/light motorized equipment.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- A valid driver's license.
- Class "A" Commercial Driver's License.
Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background investigation, a driving record check, a commercial driver license screening and a pre-employment physical to the satisfaction of the employer.
- 2-3 years of maintenance, construction or related experience;
- 2-3 years of experience with equipment such as: skid-steers with attachments, backhoes, single axle and tandem dump trucks and Low-Boy tractor trailer;
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, concrete saws, tampers, etc.;
- Experience with the preventative maintenance of construction and landscape equipment;
- Experience supervising crews of 2-3 workers.
Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds regularly, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions and in adverse weather conditions performing physical labor. Ability to bend, twist, turn, stand, and stoop and operate equipment and motor vehicle. Duties can be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.