Legal Administrative Assistant
LEGAL ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
LOCATION: Northwest D.C. (metro-accessible)
HOURS: Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. (40-hour work week)
***Must be flexible to work occasional overtime
National law firm seeks a "jack-of-all-trades" to join their close-knit D.C. office.
The Legal Administrative Assistant will report to assigned attorneys as well as to the Firm Administrator and perform a variety of legal and administrative tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Preparing correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents from written and oral drafts
- Answering the telephone when necessary, screening calls, and communicating messages to the appropriate recipient
- Interacting with clients, both via phone and in person
- Entering time and expenses, accurately and efficiently, into Coyote so as to be included in client bills; proofreading and editing prebills and finals
- Following procedures for opening new clients, processing conflicts checks, and maintaining all client and general files electronically (and physically when appropriate); updating Billing Information Sheets consistently and accurately
- Reading and sorting incoming mail, scanning to recipients if appropriate; ensuring that outgoing mail is delivered to postal or overnight courier drop boxes if it has not been collected from the office; routing mail to a specific delivery service if necessary and following up to confirm timely delivery
- Making travel arrangements for attorneys and posting travel on the Firm calendar; preparing itineraries and tracking receipts to reconcile expenses on AmEx bill
- Establishing and maintaining calendar and deadline reminder systems; managing attorney calendars and contacts
- Preparing and updating litigation as well as other types of binders
- Reviewing and preparing documents for compliance with court and/or Administrative Agency Rules prior to filing; filing and retrieving pleadings from various courts via ECF/CMF and PACER
- Working closely with administrative management on other duties as assigned
- Working as part of the team and offering assistance to co-workers when necessary in order to meet deadlines; covering for other LAA absences
- 5-10 years of experience as a Legal Administrative Assistant, preferably within a law firm
- Ability to produce legal documents, correspondence, and reports from rough draft in an accurate and timely manner
- Ability to proof and perform editing (e.g., spelling, punctuation, grammar) of client bills and documents, in addition to mathematical calculations when verifying calculations
- Advanced knowledge of Word to include Styles and TOA/TOC for documents; intermediate proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint; experience with document management systems, such as iManage; minimum accurate typing speed of 70 WPM
- Strong interpersonal skills and a "team player" attitude
- Ability to work independently without close supervision and to exercise good judgment and take appropriate initiative; ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks in order to meet deadlines
- Availability and willingness to work overtime when necessary
Please submit resumes in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!