Senior Research Scientist (Signal and Image Processing)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes You may qualify for reimbursement of relocation expenses in accordance with agency policy.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
You must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for this position.
Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
Please read the vacancy announcement in its entirety before applying.
You must be able to obtain/maintain a Top Secret Clearance with SCI.
This position requires a minimum of Graduate Degree, preferably Ph.D.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a background investigation.
- Direct deposit of pay is required.
Incumbent demonstrates expertise as an independent principal investigator/researcher, leading complex programs of research, scientific leadership/mentoring of other scientist, and close collaboration with scientists of various disciplines within DoD, academia, and industry.
In order to qualify, you must meet there requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: At least one (1) year of specialized experience in, or closely related to, the field of signal and image processing. Experience must have been sufficiently specialized to ensure adequate familiarity with the area of specialization, be both nationally and internationally recognized as an authority within the scientific and engineering community, or have direct application in the area for which the applicant is being considered.
Applicants must address the following Mandatory Technical Qualification factor in separate written statement. Failure to meet or address the mandatory Technical Qualification and the Senior Professional Qualifications automatically disqualifies an applicant from consideration: MANDATORY JOB-RELATED RATING FACTORS
Technical Qualification - Mandatory
Proven pertinent experience in conducting and leading innovative science and technology efforts in the technical area of signal and image processing to include algorithms and techniques associated with sensor detection and identification of targets.
This position requires a Graduate degree preferably a Ph.D., or equivalent experience in physical science germane to signal and image processing such as electronics, physics, algorithms, electro-optical systems and component theory and design or related fields, with significant experience in the conduct of independent research as indicated by a strong record of publishing. Because of his/her competence in several disciplines, he/she is sought as an adviser and consultant to other government agencies and industry which may extend beyond his/her specialty.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Drug Testing: You must submit to a drug test and receive a negative drug test before you can be appointed into this position.
- Financial Disclosure: The individual selected will be required to file an 'Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report' (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Suitability: If selected, the Army will ask you to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. The Army will also ask you to sign and certify the accuracy of all the information in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired, you may be fired after you begin work, or you may be fined or jailed.
- Nature of Appointment: Individual is given a Career appointment under the authority of 5 USC 3325 upon assuming the position.
- Political Recommendations: The Army is barred by 5 USC 3303 from accepting or considering political recommendations regarding appointment or any other personnel action; any violation of the bar on recommendations is a prohibited personnel action. The Army is obligated to take appropriate adverse action against employees who solicit, or Army officials who consider prohibited political recommendations.
- Veteran's Preference: By law Veteran's Preference does not apply to the Senior Professional Positions.
- False Statements: If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work, or you may be subject to fine, imprisonment, or other disciplinary action.
- Non Discrimination: All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabling condition, membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
- Adverse Information Screening: Applicants proposed for selection are subject to inquiries as to any incidences of misconduct, malfeasance, neglect of duty, or the appearance there of information gained in this check will be considered in the approval decision.
- E-verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" system. Federal Law requires DHS to use the E-Verify system to verify the employment eligibility of all new hires, and obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system as a condition of continued employment. The U.S. Department of Army is an E-Verify Participant.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Basis of Rating: The best qualified candidates will be distinguished from other applicants by an evaluation panel of senior professionals referencing the additional evaluation criteria.
Additional Evaluation Criteria: Mandatory Technical Qualification, Senior Professional Qualification
1. Proven pertinent experience in conducting and leading innovative science and technology efforts in the technical area of signal and image processing to include algorithms and techniques associated with sensor detection and identification of targets.
2. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with key management, professional and scientific personnel; advise and consult on scientific and technological programs and problems; and, serve as an effective spokesperson for the organization both nationally and internationally.
3. Stature in the profession as indicated by memberships and activity in professional and scientific societies, honors, awards, and other recognition and leadership in national and international scientific communities. Contributions and professional reputation as evidenced by citations, patents, and/or publications which advance knowledge in the field. Read more Security clearance Top Secret/SCI Drug test required Yes