Supervisory Information Technology Specialist (Security)
Occasional travel - Occasional travel required to attend conferences.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Applicants applying for the GS-14 grade level must meet the following requirements:
Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies AND specialized experience listed below
- Attention to Detail - Incumbent demonstrates a high level of attention to detail by applying personal knowledge and management ability to evaluate current and new cyber and technology hardware and software products used to protect the Department systems from security threats. Incumbent provides sound recommendation for specific actions to correct any problems or deficiencies that are identified.
- Customer Service - Incumbent demonstrates a high level of ability to serve customers by promoting information sharing, cooperation, and collaboration within the IT, intelligence, and law enforcement communities. Persuades program officials to accept and support innovative approaches to the resolution of major cyber security problems that often require reconciling divergent and conflicting points of views that are staunchly defended.
- Oral Communication - Incumbent demonstrates a high level of skill in communicating orally cyber-related activities providing authoritative advice, guidance, and direction to senior management and other IT security and information assurance experts. Presents oral briefings to senior officials on important trends, developments, and issues affecting cyber security policy and awareness program.
- Problem Solving - Incumbent clearly demonstrates the ability to solve and prioritize problems by proactively identifying and addressing network and systems vulnerabilities and risks. Continuously researches, evaluates, and adopts the most advances techniques. The incumbent must make decisions and take the necessary actions to ensure that these functions are accomplished in the most effective and efficient manner as possible.
Have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in conducting security analyses of information technology hardware, software, and firmware in order to identify and mitigate risks and vulnerabilities.
- Experience in persuading program officials to accept and support innovative approaches of major cyber security problems that require reconciling divergent and conflicting points of view.
- Experience in developing network security policies, standards, and guidelines designed to protect global information assets.
NOTE: In order to qualify for this position, your experience MUST be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-14 position.
In addition, applicant's experience must also demonstrate that the candidate possesses the following qualities:
- Ability to assign, review, and supervise the work of others;
- Objectivity and fairness in judging people on their ability, and situations on the facts and circumstances;
- Ability to adjust to change, work pressures, or difficult situations without undue stress;
- Willingness to consider new ideas or divergent points of view; and
- Capacity to "see the job through."
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
*Ability to serve as a technical adviser on a broad range of cyber security operations.
*Ability to plan and conduct analysis of complex global cyber security issues.
*Ability to detect, identify, alert and deter cyber security threats to critical networks and systems.
*Ability to resolve highly controversial issues, and negotiate for management's support for new initiatives in cyber security.
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume must include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. For assistance with creating a resume, please click here.
Qualified candidates are assigned a score between 70 and 100. Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position and earn a score of at least 85 (when applicants are rated in a range of 70 to 100) to receive consideration for special priority.
If, after reviewing your resume and self-assessment questionnaire responses and a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, a score will be manually determined that reflects your documented experience. This may result in a lower score, which may also eliminate you from consideration for this position.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this job opportunity. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required No