COMMUNICATION SPECIALIST I
The County Manager's Office (CMO) is hiring a Communications Specialist within the Office of Communications and Public Engagement (CAPE). CAPE is responsible for enterprise wide communications and engagement with the public, stakeholders, and the media. CAPE also manages the County's website, social media, newsroom, video production, and Arlington TV. This Communications Specialist will assist the Public Engagement Communications Manager with implementing the County's Public Engagement Plan, including the Engage Arlington framework, a comprehensive tool for designing and facilitating public engagement across the County. This position will also build community partnerships and relationships and assist with the logistics and design of public sessions on a broad array of topics.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of both in-person and on-line public engagement initiatives, including logistics, outreach, communication, and facilitation of community events and public meetings;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholder groups by attending public and civic engagement meetings;
- Collecting feedback during on-line and in-person engagement sessions and surveys to summarize customer's interests;
- Maintaining a database of stakeholders interested in different topics and areas of interest from around the County;
- Updating and maintaining the "Engage Arlington" webpage and related tools;
- Developing infographics, facts sheets, and briefing profiles on targeted topics and issues; and
- Tracking engagement opportunities for projects and policies across the County.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Policy, Public Administration or a related field; and
- Two years' experience in public engagement, facilitation, communications, coalition building, and/or community building.
- A Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for one year of experience.
- Additional related qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Public engagement for a non-profit, local government or civic organization.
Work hours: Flexible 40-hour work week. Schedule will vary depending upon the needs of the organization. Occasional evening and weekends as needed.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.