Senior Director for Member Engagement
Business Executives for National Security is a non-partisan, non-profit organization of senior business and industry executives who volunteer time and energy to share best practices from their corporate experience with military and government leaders across the national security enterprise. Our members have one goal: to make our country safer by assisting those leaders in identifying, developing and applying solutions to business challenges confronting their commands and organizations. Founded in 1982, BENS has offices in New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Boston.
The Senior Director is a key member of the BENS Engagement team, which is charged with the dual missions of: understanding and facilitating delivery of each of our member’s preferences with regard to his/her BENS experience; and closely matching members’ backgrounds and skills with the expertise required to effectively deliver support and assistance to BENS’ military and government partners. S/he reports to the Senior Vice President for Member Engagement & Strategy (the SVP).
Candidates for this position must be very outgoing and possess a demonstrated ability to comfortably converse with, and elicit information from business leaders, including C-suite level executives. Also required are the skills necessary to: research and analyze company and executive business information; build relationships that enable ongoing information sharing; execute all stages of event/trip planning and management; and operate across organizational teams in a way which facilitates cooperation and coordination. In addition, the Sr. Director has responsibility for supervision and management of the Director of National & International Programs, ensuring that the BENS travel program is robust and that a minimum of 14 trips can be offered to members over the course of a year.
- Develop and execute an annual plan for conducting member interviews to: elicit information about preferences with regard to BENS engagement; deep dive into business experience (past and current); obtain relevant details regarding products and services provided by his/her current company; and understand any business undertaken or planned with the federal government;
- Enter all data gathered through these interviews into RE database in accordance with guidelines established by the Chief Administrative Officer and Membership/Engagement Manager;
- Share information gathered to empower staff colleagues to fulfill their own roles in delivering members’ preferred experiences;
- Together with the SVP, work to match talent present in the BENS membership with requests for help from military/government partners, both on an as-requested basis, as well as in developing a systematized way of grouping broad categories of expertise;
- Ensure active feedback loops with partners, visit hosts, BENS members and staff colleagues, to inform/improve processes, itineraries and invitations for future project work, trips and other activities.
- Engage in an ongoing way with members, public sector partners and military contacts to promote the exchange of ideas and/or needs which might lead to future project work or engagements;
- Regularly assess with the SVP the alignment of each member’s desired membership experience with the opportunities which are being delivered;
- Work collaboratively with team leads, Regional Directors and senior leadership to continually improve the member experience at all levels of the organization;
- Manage the Director of National & International Programs (the Director), and fill in when necessary on execution of that role;
- Actively participate with the Director and the SVP in evaluating, securing and planning interesting, educational opportunities for member travel;
- Support the COO and SVP as needed with developing and carrying out special projects undertaken at the request of the CEO or in preparation for presentation to the CEO;
- BA degree (minimum) required.
- Prior military service is a plus.
- Knowledge of how the military, federal government and Department of Defense/ national security community are organized and operate is required.
- Seven to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the private sector, military and/or federal government is required.
- Relationship-centered sales, customer relations and/or fundraising experience is advantageous, as would be demonstrated success in moving a department or other area of responsibility to an advanced level of performance.
- Must be comfortable interacting with very senior business leaders in a way which elicits actionable information about their areas of business expertise and preferences with regard to their BENS memberships.
- Experience working with CRM Software and/or fundraising databases is helpful; experience with The Raiser's Edge is ideal.
- Flexibility to travel is required, approximately 3-5 days per month.
Apply for Senior Director for Member Engagement
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly