Building Inspector II
- Responsible for the inspection of commercial and residential buildings, structures and building systems during the course of construction, alteration and repair to ensure compliance with the approved plans, codes, regulations and ordinances. To include but not limited to ensuring proper positioning within property lines, inspects structural, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and energy systems for compliance with approved plans and appropriate codes, regulations and ordinances
- Reviews commercial and residential permit applications, plans and specifications for permit approval and issuance. Areas of review shall include but not limited to building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and model energy code. Uses the permit database, to document the review status by entering the results and information in the building permit database
- Enforces State Building Code, ordinances regarding building and zoning and other areas as delegated; checks building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and installation permits, plans, and specifications for compliance with code provisions; confers with business owners, homeowners, and contractors regarding deficiencies found during inspections and plan review, notifies of corrective actions required; conducts re-inspections as necessary to secure compliance; maintains records of inspections and actions taken
- Performs related work as required
- Vocational/Technical or associate degree with training emphasis in building trades or engineering/architectural; supplemented by six (6) to nine (9) years previous experience and/or training in building trades, including carpentry, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and general contracting; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, with a satisfactory driving record
- Certification by the Commonwealth of Virginia as an inspector in the following areas: Commercial Building Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, Mechanical Inspector and Electrical Inspector or the ability to obtain certification within 18 months
- Certification by the Commonwealth of Virginia as a Commercial Building Plans Examiner, Plumbing Plans Examiner, Mechanical Plans Examiner and Electrical Plans Examiner within 3 years of employment
- Position requires certifications to be kept up to date at all times, and State mandated continuing education credits completed.
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Herndon Municipal Center, 777 Lynn street
To learn more about our benefits and to apply online, please visit us at www.herndon-va.gov