Research Services Librarian
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Research Services Librarian
The George Mason University Law Library invites well-qualified applicants for the position of Research Services Librarian located on the Arlington campus. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Research Services Librarian is responsible for providing library services to students, staff, faculty, and alumni. Duties include reference and research services, law student instruction, outreach to law students and other patrons, serving as a library liaison to law faculty, collection development, and other duties as assigned.
- Provide legal reference and research services to faculty, students, staff, and alumni.
- Plan and provide legal research instruction to law students in the Legal Research, Writing, and Analysis (LRWA) program in coordination with the other librarians and the LRWA faculty; assist in the preparation of teaching materials, tutorials, and student exercises.
- Plan, organize, and provide other research classes for law students, such as Prepare-to-Practice, Writing for Seminar Papers, etc.
- Provide liaison support to law school faculty, including training in the use of print and electronic resources, TWEN support, preparation of bibliographies, and facilitation of interlibrary loan and document delivery.
- Assist with First-Year Orientation, including preparation of materials for the orientation packet before orientation and legal research instruction during orientation.
- Coordinate with the Reference and Outreach Services Librarian to assist with and participate in the provision of instruction in the second-year LRWA program.
- In coordination with the other law librarians and the Scholarly Writing faculty, ensure effective planning and provision of legal research instruction and assistance to students enrolled in Scholarly Writing.
- Coordinate reference office coverage with other librarians to ensure that assistance is available during posted hours.
- Provide back-up support for other reference staff duties as needed.
- Develop and maintain both print and web-based guides to legal research.
- Provide library tours to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Make sure that reference statistics are collected and posted on the librarys intranet.
- Assist with scheduling and training part-time reference librarians.
- Serve on the Collection Development Committee and participate in collection development with other librarians to evaluate, update, and implement collection development policies and identify titles for selection, cancellation, and weeding.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Other professional activities:
- Attend professional meetings and conferences.
- Participate in Mason committee meetings and work with Mason libraries and librarians, as applicable;
- Serve on Search Committees as needed. Required Qualifications:
- Masters degree in library science from an ALA-accredited library school and/or a Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school;
- Extensive relevant legal reference and research experience;
- Substantial knowledge of legal bibliography and legal research techniques in both print and electronic formats;
- Reference experience as well as teaching experience in a law library (academic, government, or private);
- Ability to quickly learn new technological skills;
- Knowledge of or ability to learn web content management systems;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills, with a service orientation and ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals and groups within an academic community.
Special Instructions : Review of applications will begin immediately.
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA723z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :