Senior Coordinator, Conference Program
Position Summary: The Senior Coordinator is a key member of the Conference Program team and helps develop the conference program publication, manages the conference poster fairs, and has primary responsibility for web-based communication projects related to the NAFSA conference program.
The NAFSA Annual Conference and Expo is a highlight of the international education year, a week-long event that attracts nearly 10,000 attendees from all over the world. Program content is a combination of sessions and events curated by a volunteer-member Annual Conference Committee (ACC) and developed with NAFSA staff. Reporting to the Senior Director, Conference Program, the Senior Coordinator works with member volunteers and NAFSA colleagues across departments to ensure the successful planning and implementation of the conference.
The successful candidate will demonstrate keen attention to detail, maintain accurate records, and be able to track and meet multiple deadlines. The Senior Coordinator will be a clear and effective communicator, able to write for the web and post-web content using the NAFSA’s content management system. Candidates will have demonstrated ability to learn new software applications as well as database management experience.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Administer and maintain programmatic content for conference-related printed and online materials (40%)
- Prepare program element descriptions for conference registration brochure.
- Draft programmatic content for conference program and manage editorial feedback process.
- Serve as editorial point of contact for final conference program.
- Edit titles and abstracts of all sessions and posters to ensure NAFSA style and other requirements are met; ensure that all edits are added to the databases.
- Review and edit biographies and develop web pages for conference plenary speakers.
- Create online content for conference web pages.
Manage annual conference poster fairs (20%)
- Serve as staff liaison to the ACC poster chair and poster fair organizers for the development of the poster fairs.
- Manage the online poster proposal system.
- Promote the call for proposals and develop new ideas for promoting the poster fairs.
- Manage poster database with a high level of accuracy and care in data entry and develop systems for verifying data accuracy.
- Oversee the thirteen poster fairs at the annual conference, working closely with the poster fair member organizers, presenters, and attendees.
- Analyze year-over-year poster fair proposal and attendance data and recommend changes to poster fair offerings based on data.
Manage U.S. Higher Education Partnership Fair (15%)
- Provide customer service to participants in the U.S. Higher Education Partnership Fair.
- Serve as main point of contact for exhibitors.
- With Senior Director, develop marketing messaging and web presence to promote this opportunity, provide innovation, and increase revenue.
Support for NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo activities (20%)
- Manage logistical arrangements for special events at annual conference as requested.
- Compile and draft report related to conference session evaluations.
- Participate on staff committee to test improvements for the conference web app and communicate enhancements to conference audience in an accurate and attractive manner.
- Provide customer service to attendees in how to use conference app.
- Keep abreast of trends in international higher education to support new program development.
- Represent the conference team, as needed, at in-house meetings related to technology, marketing, and conference programs.
Collaborate with colleagues in the Knowledge Development department as directed by the Senior Director or Deputy Executive Director (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Skill in web-based writing and communications
- Three (3) or more years of experience with administrative tasks in an office environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage tight timelines and multiple assignments simultaneously
- Working knowledge of database systems and ability to master new software quickly
- Skill in managing complex data with high accuracy
- Knowledge of web development or content management systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience or interest in international education
- Successful experience working with volunteers
- Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Experience with iMIS or other database management systems
- Exposure to Cadmium CD or other event technology platforms
Scope of Supervision
The Senior Coordinator does not supervise any staff members.
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.