GIS Analyst I/II
Under close supervision of the Chief, GIS, works to develop, implement, and maintain data and applications for Fairfax Water’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). The GIS Analyst I will support data maintenance efforts including both office workflows and field data collection. This position may be required to work closely with Fairfax Water’s Information Technology department as well staff throughout the organization. The GIS Analyst I may be required to support administration of Fairfax Water’s RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) as it relates to the EGIS.
- Facilitate Implementation and Maintenance of Enterprise GIS:
- Provide limited support for the administration and configuration of ESRI’s ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, and associated applications.
- Research hardware, software, and infrastructure requirements for both server side and client side GIS deployments to support coordination between the GIS Branch and the IT Department.
- Support the coordination and/or dialogue with other Departments regarding the detailed design for the Enterprise GIS applications, functions, and services via meetings, memorandums, and other types of communication.
- Support change management processes via data entry, update, and tracking.
- GIS Maintenance
- Apply GIS technology to perform advanced data entry and manipulation, produce documentation, perform spatial analysis and produce reports.
- Support requirements gathering for GIS applications.
- Support programming needs analysis for GIS applications.
- Develop programs, procedures and applications using GIS and related software tools.
- Support development and automation processes to update, maintain, and analyze databases and ensure spatial integrity.
- Provide development, implementation and ongoing operational support for GIS and GIS users.
- Integrate software products such as CAD, spreadsheet, word processing, graphic, and web publishing with the production and delivery of GIS maps and related products.
- Collect, input, edit, verify, manipulate, model, and analyze spatial data in the GIS.
- Document data entry and related procedures.
- Support the design of future components of the Enterprise GIS to include the technology and network design, and migration and implementation plans;
- Support the preparation of justification and cost information associated with proposed GIS applications.
- Create/update/enhance desktop, web-based, and mobile GIS applications using Python, ArcGIS Model Builder, SQL, ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight, and Java, HTML5, and ArcGIS API for Windows Mobile.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a four year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Knowledge of the methods, principles and practices used in map preparation; the basic principles of cartographic technology; and the terminology, technical symbols, equipment, and instruments of cartographic drafting.
- Familiarity with database and application design, configuration, tuning, and debugging.
- Familiarity with GIS supporting water, sewer, electric, or other linear utility applications within an enterprise versioned environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within general guidelines and direction.
- Demonstrated history of self-motivation and use of problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn to program in GIS, relational and spatial database, and web languages.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply emerging information and GIS technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to support development and management of complex spatial projects to support GIS initiatives.
- Experience working with ESRI applications.
- Demonstrated ability to explain highly technical details to others in terms that can be readily understood.
- Must be able to use a computer for extended periods of time to perform the essential functions of the position. Knowledge of the personal computer system hardware and software.
- Must be able to work well with others.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
- Registration as a Certified GIS Professional preferred.