The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) seeks a collaborative and insightful professional to support operations, development, and communications activities to further IWPR’s mission to conduct and communicate research to inform public policy, inspire change, and improve the lives and opportunities of women of diverse backgrounds, circumstances, and experiences.
IWPR is the leading think tank in the United States dedicated to advancing women’s economic security and cultivating women’s leadership in the workforce and in their communities. Widely respected for its high quality policy research, IWPR’s work helps to amplify the voices of marginalized communities within the policymaking process. IWPR’s work is cited in more than a thousand news stories each year, including by prominent national and international news outlets such as NBC Nightly News, PBS NewsHour, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Vox, The Economist, USA Today, The Atlantic, and many others.
Key responsibilities include:
- Staff the reception desk, answer phones, and coordinate phone coverage among administrative staff, distribute mail
- Coordinate the monthly staff meeting agenda and roles
- Coordinate IT help desk requests
- Assist with semiannual board meeting tasks
- Order office supplies
- Maintain expense tracking spreadsheets and timesheet process
- Enter data in Quickbooks and Salesforce
- Enter bills in book-keeping software and coordinate weekly bill payments
- Assist with fundraising mailings
- Maintain the kitchen duty schedule
- Suggest improvements in administrative procedures
Communications, Development, and Outreach
- Help maintain IWPR’s contact databases, including managing and creating lists of press contacts, policymakers, and other project partners, including development contacts in Salesforce.
- Assist in planning and executing IWPR-hosted and co-hosted events.
- Assist with fielding media requests and disseminating project information via phone and email.
- Review, track, and analyze IWPR press coverage and mentions in the media.
- Track staff engagement in outreach and technical assistance events, other outputs as well
- Respond to information requests and publication orders.
- Write articles for blog and newsletter and suggest social media approaches as time allows
Required and desired knowledge and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 1-2 years prior work experience required.
- Excellent computer and tech skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) required.
- Experience with accounting software (e.g., Quickbooks), contact databases (e.g., Salesforce) and/or website content management systems (e.g., WordPress, Drupal, etc.) a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, with the capacity to prioritize work and meet various, often shifting deadlines required.
- Interest in policy and research issues affecting women and families desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and as a team member of several departments required.
Salary will be in the mid $40,000s and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, matching retirement plan contributions, generous vacation, holidays, paid sick leave, a transportation subsidy, and potential tuition credits for students admitted to master’s level qualified graduate programs at the College of Arts and Sciences at American University.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample in a single Word or PDF document to email@example.com with “Admin Coordinator,” in the email subject line.
IWPR is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming work environment. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.