Head, Wardrobe Technician, Opera House
The Kennedy Center Production Operations Department seeks a wardrobe technician with a thorough working knowledge of running theatrical productions as well as care and maintenance knowledge of costumes used in the entertainment industry. The position is the Head of the Wardrobe Department for the Kennedy Center Opera House. Applicant must have a minimum of five years' experience as a professional wardrobe technician. The candidate must have a solid working knowledge in: costume care, working as a theatrical dresser, costume construction, fabric knowledge, basic ballet or performance shoe care and painting experience, basic computer skills, and the ability to be a leader of crews. Candidate must have wardrobe experience in, Opera, ballet, touring Broadway, Gala, and all genres of theatrical presentations. Applicant must have working knowledge of modern stage technology and procedures. Applicant must have a strong understanding of discipline and the privacy required to work in a back stage and dressing room environment. Applicant must be familiar with the safe working procedures of a stage, laundry room, dressing rooms and its related tools and equipment as well as safe working procedures in a production environment. This position is a “staff” recognized positions in the Opera House as defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between The Kennedy Center and I.A.T.S.E. Wardrobe union local #772.
Duties and Responsibilities:
100% As JFKC Head, Wardrobe, Opera House, technician will work as a crew chief and a team member with the other members of the Kennedy Center Production Team as well as with visiting technical staff form touring attractions. The wardrobe technician will work with Production Management with scheduling, loading in, setting up, rehearsing, and loading out productions. Head Wardrobe Technician will need to act as a leader and Crew Chief to any over-hire employee's referred to work in the Opera House by I.A.T.S.E. local #772. Head Wardrobe Technician will work with visiting “Road Crews” and Kennedy Center Programmers, to safely and efficiently schedule, lay-out and plan all aspects for the mounting of productions, visiting and produced in the Kennedy Center Opera House. Head wardrobe Technician will work with Production Management assuring technical and staffing needs of “tech riders” are fulfilled and/or assessing and creating schedules and plans of production needs. Head Wardrobe Technician will perform other work as assigned and defined in the CBA.
- A minimum of 5 years' professional experience in the Entertainment Industry.
- Bachelor's degree in technical theatre, or equivalent professional working experience required.
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required
- The applicant must possess excellent skill levels in set up and operation of theatrical equipment enabling smooth running of performances. Applicant must be able to work well with others, and be able to prioritize in a high pressure environment. Applicant must have experience working with union crews.
- Flexibility, the ability to work well under pressure, and the ability to prioritize in a multi-task environment are required.
- Thorough working knowledge of all areas of theatrical production and presentation.
- Thorough working knowledge of equipment used in the cleaning and maintenance of fabrics and costumes used in the Entertainment Industry.
- Thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including, Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Arts-Vision software for production and programming calendars a plus.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is a world premier performing arts organization and our nation's cultural center. Diversity is a critical component of our mission, vision, and values. Our staff exhibits a wide variety of perspectives and experiences which enable us to foster and strengthen an environment of diversity and inclusion. We offer a comprehensive range of benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a 403(b) retirement plan.Back Email Apply Now