Supervisor, Landscape Maintenance
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 4 years of progressively responsible related technical experience in the landscape maintenance, facilities maintenance or equipment maintenance fields.
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Supervisor Landscape Maintenance supports efforts to develop system-wide landscape plans and implements those plans by supervising gardeners, small engine mechanics, truck drivers and temporary laborers. Oversees tasks related to erosion control; mowing, planting and watering landscaped surfaces; and replacing/pruning/trimming shrubs and trees. In addition, this role is responsible for maintaining a fleet of small engine equipment (tractors, mowers, snow/leaf blowers, weed eaters, etc.) and coordinating worker resources who are required to respond to system-wide severe weather events (snow/ice, flooding, hurricanes, etc.).
- Supervises, trains and evaluates employees and temporary laborers in the achievement of WMATA’s landscaping plans
- Provides instruction on safety and environmental requirements to include methods for minimizing injuries and property damage and techniques for identifying and correcting safety hazards. Enforces compliance with requirements for personal protective equipment and established safety mandates
- Conducts daily tool box meetings, develops job specific safety plans, performs safety inspections, conducts and documents safety observations, assists in conducting accident/incident investigations
- Develops and implements plans/schedules for proper maintenance of landscaped areas in assigned region; conducts inspections to monitor work performed by crews and contractors; acts as site supervisor for special projects
- Prepares for and responds to severe weather events (staging equipment/materials and providing clean up/removal services)
- Develops and implements schedules and plans for the inspection and preventive/corrective/overhaul maintenance and replacement of landscaping equipment
- Prepares reports/provides documentation to comply with administrative, personnel, operations and maintenance procedures
- Accesses automated maintenance management system to document work performance data; monitor work orders and backlog;
- Analyzes work volume and staffing requirements and recommends measures to enhance performance and productivity; reviews maintenance processes and procedures and recommends improvement
- Attends meetings and seminars related to functional responsibilities
- Operates Authority vehicle to support job responsibilities
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview .