Animal Caretaker I
Join The Winning Team...Team SoBran – We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran’s success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees’ individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran, Inc. is seeking an Animal Caretaker I to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Rockville, Maryland (Twinbrook III).
OVERVIEW: Responsible for all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of NIAID Division of Intramural Research animals.
Description of Duties:
- Receive, examine, transfer, identify, and properly house incoming animal shipments according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Provide food and water to animals following SOPs or approved protocols
- Assist cagewash personnel as needed
- Sanitize and decontaminate all areas of the facility
- Dispose of waste from the facility following appropriate SOPs
- Maintain and repair animal caging and support equipment
- Assist with receipt, stocking and maintenance of all supply inventories
- Dispose of animal carcasses following SOPs
- Assist with the restraint and manipulation of various animal species
- Understand and follow SOPs, safety procedures, and quality assurance guidelines for animal care at all levels of biohazard containment
- Perform daily animal health surveillance checks and report any abnormal conditions of either the animals or the animal room environment to supervisory staff
- Perform routine animal husbandry
- Maintain a daily animal census in assigned animal rooms
- Remove weanling animals to separate cages
- Prepare and submit records, charts, logs, cage cards, and inventories as required by SOPs
- Maintain clean and organized work and personal areas
- Report any abnormal conditions of the animal facility or immediate vicinity to supervisory staff
- Perform other duties under supervision, as assigned
Required Schedule: All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned, arrive to work at 7:00 am and depart at 3:30 pm M-F. Weekend work is required as scheduled. The weekend/holiday hours are from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm (no more than 8 hours per day). In addition, you may be expected to work extra hours during an emergency or if any unexpected situation should arise until work is completed.
Required Experience: Six months animal handling experience preferred. Must complete the required training and receive clearance on the duties of Laboratory Animal Caretaker I as outlined.
Required Education: Must have a high school diploma or equivalent. Must attain certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science as an Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) within 1 year of obtaining the position.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.