There is a full time Systems Engineer position available with the City. This position will be responsible for coordinating, monitoring, and participating in the day-to-day management and operations of the City’s support service as part of the IT Support Team. In particular, coordinates, plans, monitors, and participates in the day-to-day support, management and operations of the City’s systems infrastructure, sites and services, with key focus in supporting both work station and server hardware & software, database systems / applications support, virtual systems, SAN & blade systems support, and with some support of telephony and audio/visual systems. Provides input to the IT Manager, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and IT team in developing and implementing the City’s overall IT strategic plan, as well as developing and/or refining policies and procedures related to daily IT support and process improvements; and providing general IT support coordination and liaisons with Falls Church Public Schools’ IT staff as required. The work is performed under the general supervision and guidance of the City’s IT Manager and Chief Technology Officer (CTO), a sub-division of the City Manager’s Office.
This position requires strong server & workstation support skills with key focuses including, but not limited to:
- Provides direct support to end-users ranging from Tier 1 – 3 type issues, with command of general workstation support functions (hardware & software), including: Microsoft Office support tasks (install & troubleshoot errors), mitigate and handle system viruses, malware, spyware & Adware, hardware component replacement, and use of system imaging software to create and load images;
- Command of detailed Windows OS support tasks (2008 – 2016 & 7 – 10), setup OS to a new unformatted hard drive and/or RAID controller, and navigate the Windows registry and understand its full structure;
- Provides all level of support to servers (OS & hardware), proper array configuration and management;
- Command of how to setup / configure network printers in a Windows print server environment, along with providing printer hardware support;
- Manages all AD account, machine administration, GPO, group, container management, DHCP, DNS, as well as centralized patch management of servers & PCs and software deployment;
- Able to trace phone and network patch cables to wall jacks and/or connectivity devices and use phone & network wiring continuity testers, clearly understands and can follow network device / system inter-connectivity diagrams and produce basic diagrams;
- Command of IT ticketing system use and effective workload management;
- Works closely with the departments and external vendors to define, develop, and document application related business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with all staff;
- Proactively monitors and identifies trends and behaviors in systems support and implements processes to proactively monitor and addresses application issues to reduce business impact and increase IT system up-time and performance, and fully documents all systems and processes & procedures to support them;
- Support of audio/visual systems (TVs, projectors, etc.), and video teleconference systems (VTC)
- Able to follow other specific advanced troubleshooting steps that are documented;
- Able to follow other specific advanced troubleshooting and processes that are trained on the job;
- Performs other related tasks as required.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science or related field and/or equivalent experience with a minimum of 3 years professional experience in IT systems administration support required, with at least 2 year professional experience in Windows server OS configuration and support, along with server hardware configuration and maintenance support;
- Excellent configuration and support knowledge of operating systems including, Windows Server 2008 – 2016 & Windows 7 – 10 (min 2 years of professional experience, MCSE preferred), and MS Office 2007-2016, with strong support knowledge of multi-user database systems (minimum 1 year of professional experience – i.e., email / Exchange server, SQL, SharePoint, web-based, cloud, archiving and continuity of operations), and strong command of all related hardware/software, the operation and basic care of computer systems, and the methods, principles and practices used in scheduling computer operations;
- Professional experience with supporting VM environments and the infrastructure around them (min 1 year), with strong preference with experience supporting blade server enclosures and SAN support;
- Professional experience with using central management systems for patching and software deployment, along with experience with developing and deploying system images with management tools.
- Professional experience showing ability to research, develop plans and procedures, coordinate, schedule projects and prioritize work; demonstrating ability to respond to multiple projects within acceptable time frames, and ability to prepare and maintain accurate reports and records;
- Professional experience demonstrating the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials, customers, the general public, all levels of employees and contractors, to prepare reports and to communicate ideas effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to proactively self-initiate and continually expand professional development of all necessary skillsets, as well as keep abreast of related emerging technologies that would be used from a wide variety of sources (i.e., self-paced online training, training materials, and some training courses as available);
- An equivalent combination of relevant training and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
To Apply: Send resume to City of Falls Church, Human Resources Division, 300 Park Ave., Falls Church, VA 22046 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE QUESTIONNAIRE BELOW MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED WITH THE RESUME.