Associate Director for Patient Care Services - VA Travel
76% or greater - This is a Travel Nurse Corps position. Travel is required to perform the duties of this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
- Master's degree in Nursing or related field and a BSN; or
- Master's degree in Nursing from a bridge program; or
- Doctoral degree in Nursing (preferred) or in a related field.
- Must possess a minimum of 4 years of nursing experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of prior or current Associate Director for Patient Care Services/Nurse Executive experience within the Veterans Health Administration within the last 5 years is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of VHA staffing methodology to coordinate staffing needs.
- Experience using Strategic Analytics for Improvement and Learning (SAIL) to address opportunities for improvement in patient care services.
- A minimum of 3 years of prior or current experience and proficiency in managing Sterile Process Service (SPS) program.
Nurse V - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN (or a Bachelor's degree in a related field) and approximately 5-6 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree (preferred) in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience. Additionally, you must meet the following:
- Practice: Collaborates with health care executives in creating the organizational mission and vision. Directs the integration of nursing or nursing related activities in the mutual development and achievement of organizational goals.
- Ethics: Advocates for ethical decision-making on behalf of the public and staff. Develops an environment for
- ethical decision-making at the organization/system level.
- Resource Utilization: Develops resource utilization strategies to improve organizational performance.Strategies reflect the changing societal and health care environments and the economic climate.
- Education/Career Development: Mentors others in executive leadership positions. Forecasts knowledge needs for complex multi-system change
- Performance: Develops policy related to professional practice and relevant statutes and regulations on community, regional, and/or national levels.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with other executives for strategic planning, decision-making, and problem solving about health care services and organizational priorities.
- Collegiality: Serves as an expert to communicate nursing and health care trends and issues at the local, regional, state, and/or national level.
- Quality of Care: Improves the quality and effectiveness of the facility's overall health care program by providing leadership, coordinating, and facilitating the evaluation and improvement of a wide range of programs. Excellence is reflected in improved client outcomes and organizational performance.
- Research: Promotes an environment that supports the conduct and utilization of research in practice and a spirit of inquiry.
Physical Requirements: This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, and sitting. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Federal intermittent employees who are expected to work 130 hours per month or more for at least 90 days will be eligible to enroll in a Federal Employees Health Benefit plan (FEHB), but are not entitled to paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, thrift savings plan, or participation in the Federal employees Retirement System.
Current, permanent VA Employees who are selected for a temporary intermittent position will retain health, life, thrift savings plan and retirement benefits, but will lose their leave benefits upon transferring into the VA Interim Staffing Program. Accrued annual leave will be paid out upon transfer, and accrued sick leave will remain on file should the RN return to part-time or full-time employment at the conclusion of this temporary appointment.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research