Financial Services Specialist I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Anticipated starting salary is in the low $60,000.
Web Announcement :
Senior Grants and Finance Analyst
The George Mason University College of Science (COS) invites well-qualified candidates to apply for our Senior Grants and Finance Analyst position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Senior Grants and Finance Analyst positions serve a critical role within the college by mitigating financial risk and ensuring compliance with university, state and federal laws and regulations. The incumbent manages complex financial activities including, but not limited to, planning, forecasting, budgeting, accounting, reconciling and reporting for the assigned departments/centers/education programs. The incumbent is responsible to provide a secondary review of research and state-funded expenditures for the assigned departments and research centers; serves as a liaison between College departments/centers and central administration, such as Office of Sponsored Programs, HR, Purchasing & Accounts Payable; works directly with administrators, principal investigators, and department chairs/center directors to monitor spending and track budget availability on Sponsored Project/Indirect/State/Foundation funds; understands sponsor requirements and interprets guidelines; provides accurate financial reporting and forecasting of data and expenditures related to department/centers, faculty and students within the assigned COS units and educational programs. The incumbent also supports the Collegeâ€™s growth by developing financial models for cost centers and new programs, including multidisciplinary programs; works collaboratively with the Director of Finance and members of the College-level Finance team and participates in efforts to improve finance-related processes.
The primary work location is on the Fairfax campus with occasional trips to our other sites.
- A bachelorâ€™s degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Knowledge of fiscal and budgetary processes and general accounting principles;
- Knowledge of sponsored project management best practices and knowledge of Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance;
- Ability to explain grant and financial ideas and concepts across multiple levels of the organization to people with varying knowledge;
- Prior experience working with relational databases;
- Ability to develop financial models for academic and research programs, such as cost and recharge centers;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially intermediate Excel;
- Ability to work independently with strong organizational, interpersonal communication and multitasking skills;
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities;
- Strong customer-centric approach and a problem-solving mentality; and
- Outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in a large public institution of higher education;
- Experience in handling confidential data (highly preferred);
- Familiarity with federal grant processes;
- Experience with budget planning and monitoring expenditures;
- Experience with a large public institution;
- Ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile and evaluate data;
- Ability to calculate labor effort proportionally per project;
- Ability to work collaboratively and meet deadlines.
About Us: The College of Science is a growing college with approximately 400 employees and has the second largest student enrollment at the university. With a wide variety of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, COS is the largest research unit in the universityâ€”constituting approximately 30 percent of the total research expenditures and having generated approximately 35 percent of the universityâ€™s research proposals in FY18. Our mission is to produce science that enhances society, and COS undertakes pioneering research endeavors that are integrated with academic programs to offer insight and solutions to the complex issues that challenge todayâ€™s world.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :