Architecture/Engineering Manager I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Manager, Building Inspection and Compliance
The George Mason University, Facilities Planning, Design and Construction department is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for its Manager, Building Inspection and Compliance position working in our Fairfax, VA campus. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Manager, Building Inspection and Compliance is responsible for surveys, reviews and inspections of work areas, job sites, buildings, facilities, construction projects in conformance with the HECO and CPSM manual appendix N and their plans to assure compliance with all project documents, drawings, and specs. The incumbent will oversee all Project Inspectors and will serve as a resource to the Directors, Program Management and the Sr. Program Manager â€“ Major Maintenance.
Specific duties will include:
- Reviews buildings plans, specifications and construction documents to determine compliance with and adherence to project requirements and GMU design standards. Consults with AVP, Planning, Design, and Construction regarding issues on plan reviews, building inspections, interpretations, special situation and general safety engineering matters.
- Manages a group of Inspectors and makes assignments to various projects being implemented across the university. Make sure inspectors are advising responsible Project Managers of non-compliance and recommending corrective or preventive maintenance to ensure compliance with project documents, drawings, and specifications. Ensures inspections are done in conformance with the HECO and CPSM manual appendix N.
- Works closely with Director, Program Management to ensure proper assignment and coverage of inspectors for approved projects. Coordinates with Inspectors compliance inspections on all assigned projects and reports findings to appropriate Project Managers or Director, Program Management. Required Qualifications:
- The successful candidate should have a BS degree or equivalent in building construction or closely related field; or a combination of education and experience. Have experience and knowledge of building and infrastructure design, construction administration, and means and methods for all types of major building construction.
- Be knowledgeable of the codes and standards referenced in the Contract Documents which stipulate the requirements for installation and workmanship on the trades involved in the Work. (e.g. ACI, SMACNA, NFPA, NEC, ICC, ASHRAE, etc.)
- Have an understanding of the General Conditions of the Construction Contract; Have the ability to read and understand a construction bar chart schedule; and Have the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Understand the requirements spelled out in the HECO and CPSM manual appendix N.
- Be a Certified Building Official (CBO) or must be certified within a year of accepting position.
- Experience should be extensive at the trades and inspection level and should include previous management or supervisory experience as well.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-09-17