Biology Instructional Lab Coordinator
6 days left
- Full Time
Montgomery College is Maryland's premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success. We give employees the environment, tools, and opportunities they need to make a difference.
Job TitleBiology Instructional Lab Coordinator
Job Description SummaryJob Title : Instructional Lab Coordinator
Position #: S13143
Montgomery College, Takoma Park/Silver Spring, has an immediate need for a full-time Instructional Lab Coordinator. The work schedule is Tuesday - Saturday from 10 AM - 6 PM with some flexibility. This position is bargaining and non-exempt.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.
The Instructional Lab Coordinator will oversee and coordinate the daily operations and activities of assigned instructional laboratories. Provide technical assistance to prepare for faculty and students to perform research and access instructional resources. The work involves set-up and organization of work areas for classroom lab instruction, and coordination with faculty and provision of laboratory preparation assistance services to faculty.Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee and coordinate in a collaborative manner with other team members the daily operations and activities of assigned instructional laboratories.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare for faculty and students to perform research and access instructional resources.
- Set-up and organize work areas for classroom lab instruction, and coordinate with and provide lab assistance services to faculty.
- Discuss the requirements of the exercise with the appropriate instructor(s) and provide materials and equipment as necessary.
- Work with other team members to plan lab prep activities, pick up supplies and materials, maintain the facility, check/maintain equipment, and schedule student assistants and/or staff in order to meet instructional objectives.
- Assist in the logging in and inventory of laboratory chemicals and supplies that are received by the biology department.
- Clean and prepare lab for incoming lab class.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological sciences.
- Four years of experience performing instructional assistant/associate duties.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, procedures, principles, practices, and techniques of assigned subject area work, tools, equipment and materials, and hazard/safety.
- Considerable knowledge of instructional technology, equipment and educational materials employed in assigned instructional laboratory precautions.
- Ability to work as part of a team to prepare for instructional lab teaching, ability to communicate effectively and in a timely manner with team members and faculty and possession of organizational skills.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Proficiency in responding to questions and requests about subject area. Skill in explaining subject matter principles, techniques and practices in order to work with others including faculty and lab staff.
- Ability to work with bacterial cultures using aseptic technique and the ability to prepare various types of culture media using aseptic technique.
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as DNA preparation, gel electrophoresis, PCR, etc.
- Familiarity with cell biology techniques such as fluorescence microscopy, cell fractionation and centrifugation, immunological techniques, etc.
- Skill in using computers and computer applications (e.g. MS Word, MS Excel, etc.) and the ability to apply these skills to the use of instructional technology.
- Familiarity with growth and care of plants and/or greenhouse experience.
- Familiarity with the care of aquariums and care and feeding of small animals.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
- Online applications must be received by September 21, 2018.
- For consideration, you must:
Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
Submit a cover letter along with an un-official copy of your transcripts from your highest degree earned.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateFriday, September 21, 2018
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353
or send an email to: email@example.com
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.