Program Assistant (OA)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
.Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education, and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement. Education may only be substituted in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order to be credited towards qualifications.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the education requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click on the link for a list of accredited organizations recognized as specializing in interpretation of foreign education credentials.
Applicants applying for the GS-05 grade level must meet one of the following requirements:
A. Have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in applying standardized rules, processes, and procedures sufficient to perform the full range of clerical and other program duties in support of a foreign affairs or administrative management programs.
- Performing office automation duties using software technology such as, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and other database programs to retrieve and sort information from files or records and preparing routine documents.
- Performing research and writing memorandum for upper management associated with the compiling statistics and developing reports for upper management duty;
B. Have successfully completed four(4) years of education above high school that was obtained in an accredited college or university which demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to do the work of the position;
C. Have a combination of experience (less than 1 year of experience equivalent to the GS-04 level in the Federal service), AND post high school education which when combined meets 100% of the education and experience requirements. Generally, one (1) full academic year of study is equivalent to 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours of undergraduate education. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the required specialized experience requirement at this grade level. (One full year of academic study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to six months of specialized experience. The total of the two percentages must equal at least 100%.
Note: If you are qualifying based on education you must submit a copy of your transcripts with your application. If selected, an official transcript will be required to verify education prior to employment.
Applicants applying for the GS-06 grade level must have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience with an extensive body of rules, procedures, and operations sufficient to perform the full range of clerical/ assistant duties in support of foreign affairs or administrative management programs.
- Performing a wide variety of interrelated and, at times, nonstandard procedural assignments and resolving a wide range of problems related to the screening of requests for action or benefits and administering the program's processes.
- Experience applying program regulations and policies affecting would-be requestors, beneficiaries, or claimants.
- Performing office automation duties using software technology such as, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and other database programs to retrieve and sort information from files or records, and preparing documents with complicated formatting.
- Performing research and writing memorandum for upper management associated with the compiling statistics and developing reports for upper management duty.
AND Applicants Must be able to type a minimum of 40 wpm with no more than 3 errors.
Note: Individuals may be required to take a typing exam.
Education Substitution: As a general rule, education is not creditable at this level for most positions covered by this standard; however, graduate education may be credited in those few instances where the graduate education is directly related to the work of the position.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Highly-qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Ability to locate and compile data.
- Ability to manage and organize files and records
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to provide advice, prepare and present reports and briefings, justify recommendations, and solve problems.
- Ability to use automated tracking system to input and retrieve information and monitor due dates.
- Ability to research and analyze data.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each pre-defined quality category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent (i.e., CPS and CP) must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive consideration for special priority.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this announcement. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No